Kiosk Mode - Out the box

KevinUK
Here to help

Kiosk Mode - Out the box

So I have a number of remote sites that are using mobile devices connected to WiFi only.

We have 4 apps that we want them to have access to and that works well in testing! 

My problem appears when I want to have a device work out the box... I will get a staff member on site to scan the android enterprise enrollment barcode and the profiles will be applied to that device.

As soon as the Kiosk mode profile is loaded it appears to stop doing anything else on the device it stops installing the 4 apps, applying security policies and branding (lock screen and background wall papers).

My work around is install all other profiles first wait for the device to do all the updates then come back and re-apply the kiosk profile... does this sound right?

2 Replies 2
PaulF
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi Kevin,

that's an interesting use case.....

I'm sure that there's something better we could be doing, which I'll feed back to the team, but, in lieu of this....

We've a couple of steps which will involve the use of Security Policies and Dynamic Tags

1. Security Policy

If you navigate to Systems Manager > Policies on your dashboard and click + Add New

Give the Policy a name, such as KioskApps

Tick Mandatory Apps and then type in the names of the Apps you need to have installed before Kiosk Mode is initiated

Click Save

Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 5.38.01 PM.png

2. Dynamic Tags

In you Android Setting for Kiosk Mode, click on Profile Configuration, and under Targets, change the scope to With Any / All of the Following tags (your choice, depending on whether you already have some tags created)

Under Policy tags, start typing the name of the security policy you created in #1 (KioskApps, in my case) and select the option with Compliant

Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 5.42.08 PM.png

Click Save

The logic is this: when SM detects that all of the apps needed for kiosk mode are installed, it will then mark the device as compliant against the security policy and, therefore, install the Kiosk Mode setting

There may, obviously, be some latency between the apps installing and kiosk mode initiating, as SM has to wait to get an inventory back from the device informing it that the apps are installed.

Let me know how you get on

KevinUK
Here to help

Morning

Tried this on Friday and will review the settings today but device was left plugged in over weekend and all I had load up on the phone was the Kiosk interface with no Apps.

Due to a bug on the version of Android that is running on the phone I cannot exit Kiosk mode to check to see if the apps have installed without removing the kiosk profile from the phone.

Will update once reviewed

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels