Is Meraki Systems Manager an effective RMM solution?

tech01
Comes here often

Is Meraki Systems Manager an effective RMM solution?

Hello!

We're evaluating potential RMM solutions to manage a small-to-medium Windows 11 environment and are considering Meraki Systems Manager as one of the options. Our key requirements include solid patch management (handling Windows updates, feature updates, and third-party app updates), native remote access support, and streamlined software deployments. However, some of Cisco's documentation is a bit unclear, particularly around patch management. From what I've seen, it looks like it only primarily supports Apple devices for patching according to the link below:

https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Device_Enrollment/Systems_Manager_Agent_and_MDM_Profile_Enrollme...

Can anyone with hands-on experience shed some light on the limitations of Meraki Systems Manager in terms of patch management, software deployments, and remote access? Would you consider this an effective RMM solution for a Windows environment?

Thanks

8 Replies 8
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I wouldn't consider systems manager an RMM it's more of an MDM and it's currently more geared towards MacOS and iOS devices however Windows features are often being added in. 

PaulF
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Microsoft patch updates are a dark art, and require complex management. So much so that there are customers that may use SCCM and Intune, but still use 3rd party products specifically for patches and app updates

As @BlakeRichardson mentions, Meraki Systems Manager is an MDM, which is primarily *Device* management

tech01
Comes here often

Do you have any Cisco recommendations for RMM solutions comparable to ManageEngine or NinjaOne?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Let me be blunt - no.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would say the ManageEngine is the trendiest most well-rounded solution that I see everyone using in my country,

tech01
Comes here often

@PaulF @BlakeRichardson @PhilipDAth - Thanks guys! I know there can sometimes be overlap between MDM and RMM features. But if the focus is heavily on Apple devices, then it will not be a good fit since we have very few macOS laptops, and our primary use case is device management of Windows 11 machines, along with remote access troubleshooting, automating patches, software deployments, and integration with an endpoint protection platform / edr. Full functioning Windows support is a must for us. It sucks because the datasheet seemed very promising even including Multi OS management. 

Gelo
Conversationalist

I’ve used Meraki Systems Manager, and it’s not great for Windows patching, more focused on Apple. Remote access is solid, but software deployment can be a bit clunky. You might be better off with something like NinjaOne or Automox for a Windows setup.

tech01
Comes here often

Thanks Gelo!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels