In Kiosk Mode no change two second Wifi network

Santosh
Here to help

In Kiosk Mode no change two second Wifi network

We have a problem in Kiosk mode on our Android tablets. We have specified two wifi networks in the settings. When we go to the second network, it is not detected, even though the settings say to connect automatically. When we go back to the first network, it logs in automatically again.
If we leave the kiosk mode and tap on the Wifi symbol, the overview of all networks opens. At the bottom it says: 2 known networks. There I can tap on the second network and it logs into the second WLAN without asking for a password.

How can I set the tablets to log in automatically to each of the specified networks?

Best regards

Santosh

8 REPLIES 8
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can't set a device to have two active networks, how is it supposed to know which one to use when? 

Yes you can push profiles to support as many wifi networks as you want but in my experience it always joins the one that was configured first?

What is your need for needing two networks? 

Yes, that is also my experience. It only logs into the wifi where it was set up. But then why can I set up multiple wifi when I can only use one???
We have different locations, therefore different wifi networks.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Santosh if you have different locations and different SSID's at those locations then you should have seprate wifi profiles for each of those locations and then only scope that required SSID.

Also its not best practise to combine wifi setting in a profile with other settings such as restrctions. i.e. have a seperate profile for wifi settings and one for all other settings. 

Thank you very much. I will try that out. Am unfortunately only on Monday back in the office, but I will report.

No, unfortunately it does not work either.

Santosh
Here to help

Does anyone have any idea how I make it so that a tablet can log into different networks when the MDM is running?
Without Cisco MDM it's not a problem for any device to connect to different wifi networks. It recognizes the SSID and connects.
When I exit the kiosk mode and tap on networks, most of the time (not always) the other networks are entered including the passwords. I tap on the corresponding wifi and it logs in immediately. Without me having to enter a password. So the wifi is completely stored in the MDM.
But I can't always leave the kiosk mode first to connect the wifi. We live in the year 2022...

Greetings

Santosh

Santosh
Here to help

With the MDM it is apparently not possible to switch Wifi in the tablet. Despite the setting options in the backend. They are useless. This is my experience.
My approach: Set the wifi on each tablet individually before activating the kiosk mode and add new ones if necessary. This is the only way that the tablet can log into a different (manually entered) wifi. However, this costs a lot of time.

The question now: What happens if we change the passwords of the networks?
Have also opened a support ticket, which so far has not been answered by CISCO Meraki. This is very unprofessional.

This will ultimately make the MDM useless to us. Think we will cancel it at the end of the year and switch to another provider.

Greetings

Santosh

Santosh
Here to help

Der Support hat sich erst gemeldet, nachdem eine Anfrage kam, dass ich den Support bewerten sollte. Dann dauerte es wieder Tage bis sie uns mitteilten, wie und wo wir das WLAN einstellen sollen im MDM. Nach meiner Antwort, dass wir das bereits zweimal getan haben, ohne Erfolg und alles ausprobiert haben, ist wieder Ruhe eingetreten, der Supporter ist im Urlaub. Wir werden jetzt kündigen und haben bereits einen anderen Anbieter, wo wir die vielen aufgetretenen Probleme mit Cisco Meraki nicht mehr haben. Meiner Meinung nach, steckt das MDM von Cisco Meraki noch in den Kinderschuhen. Werden auf der einen Seite Fehler behoben, erscheinen auf einer anderen Seite neue Fehler. Dieses ganze Spiel hat uns sehr viel Zeit, Arbeit, Recherche und Geld gekostet und die Unterstützung des Supports ist gleich Null und nicht zielführend.

Schade um das Geld, was wir gezahlt haben.

Support only got back to us after a request came in for me to rate support. Then it took days again until they told us how and where we should set the WLAN in the MDM. After my answer that we have already done this twice, without success and tried everything, calm has returned, the supporter is on vacation. We will now cancel and already have another provider where we no longer have so much problems that occurred with Cisco Meraki. In my opinion, the MDM of Cisco Meraki is still in its infancy. If errors are fixed on one side, new errors appear on another side. This whole game has cost us a lot of time, work, research and money and the support is zero and not goal-oriented.

Too bad about the money we paid.

Viel Erfolg

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels