Enrollment Issue with Android 8.0.0

Ryan-Scott
New here

Enrollment Issue with Android 8.0.0

Hi Meraki Community ! 

Thankfully it is Friday we made it to the end of the week ! 

Just hoping someone might be able to help from the Meraki World with this problem I have hit this week with enrolment using System Manager. I had the task of enrolling a Android 8.0.0 Device into system manager. Our MDM Environment is setup so devices are enrolled in Device Owner Mode which gives me the "Administrator" full control of the device. 

Further details of Device being Enrolled

Device OS: Android 8.0.0

Device Make & Model: Huawei fig-lx1 

Enrolment Method in System Manager: Device Owner Mode

Upon enrolment I had major issues with enrolling this device in "Device Owner Mode" the problem was it constantly was trying to get me to enrol it as a work profile device and not device owner mode. Following help from the Meraki Support team they advised to try the below enrolment steps. 

1) Enter "afw#meraki" upon initial configuration following a factory reset and enrol

Results: This was no use because it does not allow you manage the device using the managed google account created for setup of device owner mode which our Google account is "[retracted-A]@gmail.com"

2) Enter the Google Work Bind account setup under our environment "[retracted-A]@gmail.com" once initial configuration has been complete 

Results: This did not work and was still enrolling the device in work profile mode which is not what I was trying to achieve. 

The only work around I found was to enroll the device using Android Debug Bridge known as (ADB) to force the enrolment to work as device owner mode and not work profile. This workaround still does not explain why a latest handset (Android 8.0.0) cannot be easily enrolled using device owner mode enrolment method by simply going to m.meraki.com installing system manager and making sure it enrolls so Android for Work Enterprise is enabled. 

The Adb process is rather time consuming and I cannot justify to our client that they need to purchase newer OS Handsets if the same process of ADB needs to be used it defeats the point of that topic. 

Any ideas from anyone that has come across this before would be great. 

Contact Details: [retracted-B]@lpnetworks.com

DDI Number: 02088599581

I am finding that enrolment using system manager can be very precise about the order of event during enrolment I.E below is the order of steps i use for enrolment when using ADB

1) Factory Reset Handset

2) Initial configuration (Terms & Conditions, Connect to Wireless etc....)

3) Plug Device into Windows Laptop 

4) Run ADB Commands

- ADB Start-Server

- ADB Install AndroidSM.apk 

- ADB Set-Owner Meraki Package (Not Exact Command)

5) Sign in with AFW Account "[retracted-A]@gmail.com"

6) Update all system apps

7) Enroll into System Manager using enrolment code

😎 Assign device to Meraki Owner and associated profile and tags for app deployment

9) Restart device and check configuration status on device to ensure all is ticked

(Any other order seems to cause issues) does anyone else notice this ? 

3 Replies 3
CarolineS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Moderator here. Thanks for posting, @Ryan-Scott! I have removed the email addresses from your post, replacing them with [retracted-A] and [retracted-B]. Per our guidelines, contact info isn't permitted.

Cheers!

Caroline S | Community Manager, Cisco Meraki
New to the community? Get started here
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Some handsets,  such as Xiaomi,  are simply not made to be able to work with device owner mode and MDM's.   I usually try and do a trial handset with a customer first  

T1
Building a reputation

MDM support varies between vendors. Here's a list of reqs and recommended devices for enterprise enrollment.

Android Enterprise recommended requirements:
https://www.android.com/intl/en_au/enterprise/recommended/requirements/

Android enterprise recommended devices:
https://androidenterprisepartners.withgoogle.com/?&_ga=2.198196838.879648780.1533000171-1040132312.1...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels