Deploy macOS script

dbergstol
Conversationalist

Deploy macOS script

I followed along with the steps located here to create a .dmg file and added it as an app on Meraki. The script is meant to create a .plist file within the LaunchDaemons folder. I tested the script prior to attempting to deploy it via Meraki and it worked successfully. My hope was to be able to then push the script out to multiple devices utilizing scopes. However, it does not successfully install the app or run the script. I noticed in this forum that it was suggested the user include a telltale in the script this way SM would know whether it "installed" or not, but the script isn't even running in the first place since the file isn't created in the LaunchDaemons folder.

I'm not sure if there's something I'm doing wrong when it comes to the script deployment, but I also tried installing 2 App Store apps (Evernote and Xcode) just to verify whether they would install or not. Strangely, only Evernote installed successfully and appeared on the device. Xcode, despite the activity log stating that the install was a success, was not on the device and continued to appear in the missing apps list on Meraki. I'm unsure whether this has anything to do with the custom app not installing or if it is an entirely different problem.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

2 Replies 2
dbergstol
Conversationalist

Update: Xcode finally appeared on the device, so there must be something I'm missing when it comes to installing/deploying a custom app/script

PaulF
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

So....

Firstly it's not just a case of dropping your plist into the right directory. Be very mindful of:

ensuring that you do a :

chown root:wheel yourplist.plist

and

chmod 644 yourplist.plist

on your plist after you've placed it into the right location

Secondly: LOG! If you're not already doing this, then include the following keys and values in your plist

<key>StandardErrorPath</key>
<string>/tmp/mylaunchdaemon.err</string>
<key>StandardOutPath</key>
<string>/tmp/mylaunchdaemon.out</string>

Thirdly: Deployment: Meraki Systems Manager looks for the bundle ID to detect whether or not an "app" has been installed successfully. Make sure you get this right to ensure SM knows that your apps have been installed

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels