DEP-Enrollment with Apple Configurator (WiFi profile issue)

SOLVED
Mark_KMZFR
Conversationalist

DEP-Enrollment with Apple Configurator (WiFi profile issue)

we use the Apple Configurator to automatically bring our superviced devices with DEP into the meraki SM.
As soon as the iPad is registered with meraki, it loses the WiFi and the Configurator WiFi payload is automatically deleted before the WiFi payload from Merki is installed.
Thus the state remains stuck. What can we do to make the enrollment run automatically again?

In a second step, however, you can manually install the WiFi profile again in the configurator. But that's not a solution for 18,000 devices. 🙂
I would be very happy if someone has a solution or idea.Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-23 um 10.45.03.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Mark_KMZFR
Conversationalist

Finally here is the solution. Thanks Lamin for your support.

You must ensure that you add the .mobleconfig file for WiFi to connect pre-registration to AppleConf and then use the same WiFi profile in Meraki MDM. In this way, once registration is complete, it is passed to the managed WiFi profile. It is important that the profile created in AppleConf is manually tracked to the devices in the Meraki network.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Mark_KMZFR The profiles you mentioned are they just wifi or do they contain other settings as well? Best practise is to have wifi settings in their own profile that way if you change any other settings that profile is never touched so it removes the risk of the devices losing connectivity. 

Also is the SSID thats listed in the initial profile the same as the profile being pulled from SM? 

Lastly is there a reason why you don't have the reseller load the devices directly into DEP or are they user owned devices?

PaulF
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Wanted to add to what @BlakeRichardson said: Don't rely on the Apple Configurator provisioned WiFi profile still being there after enrollment. Ensure that you also provision a WiFi profile through SM too.

Also, SM cannot remove a profile it didn't install.

Adrian404
Comes here often

Hi @Mark_KMZFR 

Did you find a solution? I'm having the exact same problem as yours and I don't know what else to try...

Thank you!

ReyesHatrinak
Conversationalist

With macOS Monterey, Apple introduced a way to enroll Macs not purchased through Apple/a DEP-reseller channel to be enrolled in DEP.

It uses a new iOS Apple Configurator app (available on AppleSeed).

The WWDC walkthrough that demonstrates how to use the app shows them doing these steps when the Mac is in Setup Assistant.

Is it required to wipe the Mac and start from scratch, or can Macs be enrolled this way as-is (without wiping)?

Macs have to be wiped and restored for the addition to ADE to work... 

Mark_KMZFR
Conversationalist

Finally here is the solution. Thanks Lamin for your support.

You must ensure that you add the .mobleconfig file for WiFi to connect pre-registration to AppleConf and then use the same WiFi profile in Meraki MDM. In this way, once registration is complete, it is passed to the managed WiFi profile. It is important that the profile created in AppleConf is manually tracked to the devices in the Meraki network.

Hello @Mark_KMZFR 

Can you please clarify what you did to solve the issue? 

I'm having the same issue where I work and would like to stop having to manually connect to the WiFi after enrolling iPads. 

I tried this based on your solution, so correct me if I did something wrong: 

In apple configurator I have a mobileconfig profile named Test. The WiFi settings is configured in that profile. 

In Meraki I have a profile called Test as well, with the same WiFi settings in it. This profile is assigned to a default tag, so any newly enrolled device will get it.

But still, according to the event logs, Meraki removes the Test (from configurator) profile before trying to apply the new Test profile created in Meraki. 

Please let me know what to do to fix it. 

Thanks

Hi @StefanVe did you ever get a fix for this issue. We are having the same problem. Losing the wifi profile after enrolment and the meraki profile with wifi not being picked up. 

thanks

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels