Cannot get rid of old devices

SOLVED
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Cannot get rid of old devices

If I apply some settings to all devices I get in that list a load of devices that are no longer in my dashboard, these were DEP enrolled devices that have even been removed from DEP, 

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 3.58.47 PM.png

If I clcik on one of the device names I get the below error.

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 3.58.57 PM.png

How can I remove these as they are not helpful when it comes to keeping an eye on a profiles deployment rate. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It turns out that even if you delete devices from your network but they are still loaded into your DEP then they are still technically in Meraki so will show in any settings profiles they were scoped to before they were deleted.

Once you remove them from your DEP (only do this if you are disposing obviously) they they disapear from Meraki. The other alternative is remove any tagging from devices before you delete them. 

To me this just seems like bad programming but what can you do. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have checked to documentation and it makes no mention of having to un-scope devices.

1. Log in to Dashboard, and select the appropriate SM network.
  2. Navigate to Systems manager > Monitor > Devices
  3. Mark the checkbox for each device to remove.
  4. At the top of the Client list, select Delete > Remove from Network

It turns out that even if you delete devices from your network but they are still loaded into your DEP then they are still technically in Meraki so will show in any settings profiles they were scoped to before they were deleted.

Once you remove them from your DEP (only do this if you are disposing obviously) they they disapear from Meraki. The other alternative is remove any tagging from devices before you delete them. 

To me this just seems like bad programming but what can you do. 

T1
Building a reputation

I have always been under the impression that to remove DEP enrolled devices from the network, you need to "Unassign settings" under Systems Manager > Manage > DEP. Which is direct opposite of enrolling them by "assigning settings" in MDM which consumes a license and activating the device establishing the link between the two.

Deleting them from the devices list works for other types of enrollment,

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels