Apple Mac, Model name / Model Identifier in System Manager

SOLVED
Emedan
Conversationalist

Apple Mac, Model name / Model Identifier in System Manager

Hi All,

I've been turning blue looking for an answer to this. I'm fairly new to the Systems Manager and just recently deployed it to a customer running Apple Mac hardware. I was under the impression that I could create a complete inventory of the client devices that could be forwarded to the client so they could have an understanding over which devices would need to be replaced. 

Sure you can export a list of the devices in System Manager > Monitor > Devices menu but it seems to me that there's no way to get any exact model identifier or name? The Model column only show if it's a Macbook / Macbook Pro / Air / iMac etc etc. This information is quite useless for identifying ageing devices. 

With a model number I could at least get the information myself but at this point it seems like i have to run terminal commands to just get the HW Model identifier - this is not practical at all and by that point I might as well just walk to each user and check their About This Mac window one by one.

My search around the web seem to show that the only way to show this information is if the physical network infrastructure itself is Cisco based, my clients network isn't.

Am I'm missing something completely obvious here or is there simply no way of seeing the exact model name / Identifier in the System Manager console? 

Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Noah_Salzman
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hey Emedan,

What you have asked for is a common feature request… and a good one at that. I want to get it done at some point, but we have a lot of other things to do stacked in front of it at the moment. 

Noah Salzman

Product Manager for Meraki SM

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
nextgenconcepts
Here to help

If you go into the device list and look in the top right corner, you will see a wrench icon. Click that to customize what information you see in the list. Once the device list is showing all the information you need, export it as an excel file.

Hope this helps.

next,

Thanks for your reply. I'm however aware that you can change what information to show in the device list (though by pressing a + in the upper right corner if that's what you meant), however none of these options include a more detailed model name. There is a "Model" checkbox but as i stated in the OP this only shows whether its a Macbook / iMac etc. This information is not detailed enough to determine the age of the device.

Am I missing something here?

Emedan
Conversationalist

Bumping this thread
Noah_Salzman
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hey Emedan,

What you have asked for is a common feature request… and a good one at that. I want to get it done at some point, but we have a lot of other things to do stacked in front of it at the moment. 

Noah Salzman

Product Manager for Meraki SM

@Emedan  Sm only shows the basic model of the device i.e. Macbook Air, yes it would be handy if it said MacBook Air 2019. All I can suggest is to use the make a wish button to submit a feature request. 

Emedan
Conversationalist

Alright then, thank you fellas!
Caribou
Here to help

Your best solution right now would probably rely on a different service reporting that specific information for inventory that you could install via Meraki SM.

Our health monitoring tools, software update tool and backup app all report on the details ID model number for Macs. ARD also knows how to grab those relatively easily.

Caribou

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels