Allowing iOS devices to install apps from Apple Store

SOLVED
SapWho
Conversationalist

Allowing iOS devices to install apps from Apple Store

My client wants to allow users on iPhones to install apps as they wish from the app store in addition to a set number of preinstalled apps. Currently all apps in the app store are unavailable with the "GET" button greyed out.

Devices are supervised and using Apple Managed IDs.

Preinstalled apps are using VPP device assignment and working fine

Restriction payload has the following enabled:

"Allow installing apps"

"Allow use of iTunes Store"

"Show or hide apps: Allow all apps"

What am I missing here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ekramer
Getting noticed

There's your answer, then.  Managed Apple IDs are allowed to browse the App/iTunes/Books store, but not purchase (paid, or free). See [Managed Apple IDs for Apple Devices](https://support.apple.com/guide/deployment/managed-apple-ids-depcaa668a58/1/web/1.0) for more information.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ekramer
Getting noticed

Just curious, but what kind of Apple ID is the user signed in (to the App Store) with?

• Personal
  • Managed
  • None
SapWho
Conversationalist

Managed

ekramer
Getting noticed

There's your answer, then.  Managed Apple IDs are allowed to browse the App/iTunes/Books store, but not purchase (paid, or free). See [Managed Apple IDs for Apple Devices](https://support.apple.com/guide/deployment/managed-apple-ids-depcaa668a58/1/web/1.0) for more information.

SapWho
Conversationalist

Yep that's what I'm missing. Much appreciated.

galvatorizz
New here

Regarding your question, it sounds like you've got quite a comprehensive setup for your client's iOS devices. Kudos on that! I can imagine the frustration with the "GET" button being greyed out. Have you checked if the devices are running the latest iOS version? Sometimes, a simple update can do wonders.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels