I have 32 iphones in my Meraki MDM. They are supervised and in DEP. The profile installs two apps: Meraki System Manager and a company app from the apple store. I have many unused licenses and VPP certificate is up to date.
All works fine for 30 phones. Both apps get installed and work fine. I can reset iphones and reinstall profile and all continues to work fine.
2 phones show issues. One installs the company app, but does not install Meraki System Manager.The other install Meraki System Manager, but not the company app.
Both throw errors:
Error: Could not retrieve license for the app with iTunes Store ID ###
Error: No license was found for app "com.***.***"
Have tried to push apps via dashboard. Reset iphone and reinstall profile. I have even changed their MDM servers via DEP portal. Still same problem.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Try the following
navigate to the Apps dashboard open the App and under License usage details click on „Revoke unknown device licenses“
Thanks beks88. I tried it multiple times with no luck. I even removed from DEP and re entered into DEP. Same result. Baffled.
Hi @mustang15 ,
We have hit this issue recently too;more than usual.
The fix for us was to simple just hit App update on the App it thinks it is installed (The install/update commands is exactly the same).
On a few we had to try a few times but it did eventually go through.
Thanks PeterJames, but still no luck. Been trying for hours. Ugh...
Hi @mustang15 ,
Have you tried going to the DEP page, allowing it to sync, then trying again? We had a few accounts that required the new Apple T&C's to be accepted.
Or going to the SM->Apps->Accounts (top right)->Sync VPP accounts?
I have done full sync with DEP multiple times. It is just so frustrating.
I have removed them from the Meraki profile, cleaned the phone, and re-entered them in Meraki. Same problem.
I have 2 Meraki servers with the exact same settings. Tried moving the 2 iPhones to different Meraki server via DEP. Exact same problem. I have removed them from DEP and re-entered into DEP. Same problem.
I have Erase All Contents and Settings, which on reboot re-applies the Meraki profile - multiple times. Same problem.
I have tried pushing apps via the individual Meraki device page, via the Meraki apps page. I have tried pulling the app via the meraki app on the phones. I have done this it seems 10s of times over the last week.No dice. Same problem.
I have tried to install the apps via Cofigurator 2. Same problem.
My Meraki profiles work fine on all the rest of my iPhones. These 2 phones just will not co-operate.
We just started having the same issue with only one app out of 20 or so. Did you get any resolution for this or open a ticket with Meraki? Thanks for any help you could provide!
Still no luck. I even worked with an apple tech for a couple hours. They are convinced it is not an apple problem. About once a week I keep trying. Still unresolved. If you find your solution could you give me a heads up so I can try?
I got the app to install! Try a manual enrollment into your network from Safari. (m.meraki.com)
I have the same problem with an app. I tried to install that app on different devices and got the same error:
|Sep 30 10:00||Grant VPP device license||-||success: false, App: ClassDojo (552602056), Error: License not eligible for device assignment.|
The app still has 200+ licenses available and, it worked before
Sorry to hear you have a similar problem. I too had over 200 available licenses with a brand new VPP token.
I never came up with a solution.
Strangely, yesterday, after not touching them for a month, I looked at my two problem iPhones and they magically solved their own problem. Everything was installed correctly. Hmm. I got curious and decided to remove them from Meraki, then removed them from the MDM server in DEP (and left them unassigned), and reset them. Then re-assign the MDM profile in DEP. It replicated into Meraki and the phones re-acquired the profile correctly. It worked again. Yikes.
Whatever license problems they had, resolved themselves, as I left them alone for over a month. Or Meraki silently/mysteriously fixed something.
Sorry I don't have a solution for you.
Best of luck.