iPhone message videos not downloading

KenMage
Here to help

iPhone message videos not downloading

So I have a CMNA Meraki stack (MX64, MS120-8LP and MR33) all running fine for all my devices at home.  Have Cisco IP phones, laptops, printers, tablets and iPhones all running and everything is working fine until today.  I recieved a couple videos on the iPhone today via the messages app.  When I click on them in the app on the iPhone to download them, they act like the are being blocked.  The phone is connected wireless to the MR33 through the switch and the MX.  I check in the dashboard and see nothing that would appear to be blocking this, or any events.  If I change the wireless to my other SSID not via the Meraki, the video loads right away.  Any thoughts on what to check or what I can do to see what is blocking this download?

Ken Mage
10 REPLIES 10
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I saw a similar problem with my wifes phone the other day, Meraki probably isn;t the but but the OS on the phone, have you tried turning the device off and back on, that fixed the problem my wife was having. 

Good idea, but did not work.  I did a full reboot of the iPhone and it still hangs.  When I select the video in the iPhone-Messages app, it starts to download, but then just hands after the first chunk.  Other thoughts welcome.

Ken Mage

Funny, my wife has also reported this problem to me.  I think mostly while she is at work where I am not sure if they use Meraki.  Sorry not very helpful, I know, but an interesting coincidence (to me at least).

You have looked at security event logs?  And do you have any content filtering enabled?

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

"..If I change the wireless to my other SSID not via the Meraki.." Can you expand on that?  You have another AP, I guess?  Is it connected to the same MX and the MR?

I have AT&T services into my home which also has built in wireless.  I have the MX directly connected to the AT&T router, with then the MS connected to the MX, and the MR connected to the MS.  The AT&T SSID is still active, and if I connect the iPhone to that, then the video directly downloads.  With the iPhone connected to the Meraki, then the video does not.  Everything else on the iPhone seems to be working fine connected to the Meraki SSID.  

Ken Mage

@KenMage Things usually don't just stop working unless something has changed, have you changed any security settings or upgraded the firmware on your Meraki equipment or the iPhone OS recently?

No changes on the Meraki side.  I have been using it for several weeks with no problems.

I did upgrade the ios on the iPhone earlier today, so that might be a problem, although since it works on other SSID and over the carrier network I kind of discount that.

Ken Mage

@KenMage maybe try reseting the network settings on the device and see if that resolves the issue. 

You might try bypassing the MX with that MR to discover if either the MX or the MR are the culprit.  If it makes no difference than you are left with either the MR or the phone.  If it fixes the trouble then something in the MX is blocking.

Tried resetting, still same issue.  Wondering if there is some logging that might show how it is being blocked?

Ken Mage
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.