Organization cross function for switches and access point

dstewart
Here to help

Organization cross function for switches and access point

I'm not sure how to clear state this so please be kind.

I am trying to (temporarily)install switches and access points into a different organization than my own. This is due to a recent acquisition and not being able to transfer the equipment to my org. Nor do I have admin rights or a willing third party to help.

I need to be able to create a new SSID and auth settings and perform the appropriate setup on the switches to match vlans ect...  that will allow access to all the existing network services (no restriction from the third party onthis).

Logic tells me I can do this but I have yet to try. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dennis

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you are an administrator in the new temporary organization,  you can create a new ssid, etc. The question is, are the equipment you are going to add in the current organization's inventory?

If so, you will not be able to remove it to add it to the new one as you are not an administrator.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

The equipment will all be new. My thought is to add it to my org as it own network and create the config as needed. It will have a physical connection to a diff org but be logically controlled by my org.

Perfect, I don't know if it will be permanent or not, but if it is, don't forget to assign the licenses.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
mlefebvre
Building a reputation

Putting the inventory issue aside, as long as your configuration is correct on the switches and APs yes you should be able to use them cross-org with the exception of some potentially dashboard-specific features like Meraki Auth.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.