Odd client names showing up in clients Dashboard

SOLVED
mistikfrisbee
New here

Odd client names showing up in clients Dashboard

We're trying to determine what these type of client names mean. 93030647-15ef-4191-9124-6fabea28a5ab and multiple other similiar ones. We've determine which device some of them are but why do they show like this. It's not their MAC or IPv6.

Thanks,

Mystik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Russ_B
Getting noticed

Those client names are typically the MDNS hostname for the clients.  If MDNS is enabled on a client, Meraki will use that name in the dashboard.  It's a common issue, there's a lot of information about it here:  Computer name not displaying properly in Description - The Meraki Community

I did some testing a few months ago and I was able to get Meraki to use the hostname by disabling MDNS in Windows, then telling the dashboard to "Forget" the client.  When it re-detected the client, it used the DHCP hostname.  I considered trying to do that on a large scale, but decided it was too much trouble.

I've seen a script someone posted that used the API to rename clients, but I can't find it at the moment.

Russ

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Russ_B
Getting noticed

Those client names are typically the MDNS hostname for the clients.  If MDNS is enabled on a client, Meraki will use that name in the dashboard.  It's a common issue, there's a lot of information about it here:  Computer name not displaying properly in Description - The Meraki Community

I did some testing a few months ago and I was able to get Meraki to use the hostname by disabling MDNS in Windows, then telling the dashboard to "Forget" the client.  When it re-detected the client, it used the DHCP hostname.  I considered trying to do that on a large scale, but decided it was too much trouble.

I've seen a script someone posted that used the API to rename clients, but I can't find it at the moment.

Russ

As Russ said it's the MDNS name. If a custom name has not been given to a client in dashboard MDNS is the next value to be used if detected. The order dashboard uses to show the client name is here.

If you'd rather have DHCP above MDNS (like I would) please click the give feedback button in the lower right corner so Meraki can hear your input.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.