Meraki on a Yacht Deployment

tekops
New here

Meraki on a Yacht Deployment

Has anyone deployed Meraki AP's, Security Cameras, Switching and Firewall on a Yacht? 

A Yacht builder from Italy has tasked us with deploying a full network stack (wifi, security cameras, firewall) for a 107-foot yacht that is scheduled to be built by mid-2020.

Anyone experience with marine deployments?

7 REPLIES 7
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Seeing as management of a Meraki network relies on internet connectivity that may not be an ideal use case? I mean, the network is going to work without it, but there won't be troubleshooting. The devices should buffer metadata locally on connection loss so if the delay in the statistics stuff is no issue then this would be fine.

Also to watch the footage on the camera's you need an internet connection to open the webpage, even if the page streams the video over the local network.

Or do the yachts have stable satellite/cellular internet?

@BrechtSchamp wrote:

Seeing as management of a Meraki network relies on internet connectivity that may not be an ideal use case? I mean, the network is going to work without it, but there won't be troubleshooting. The devices should buffer metadata locally on connection loss so if the delay in the statistics stuff is no issue then this would be fine.

Also to watch the footage on the camera's you need an internet connection to open the webpage, even if the page streams the video over the local network.

Or do the yachts have stable satellite/cellular internet?

@BrechtSchamp  you don't have a stable connection on your yacht?  I have one on mine, it has dedicated dark fiber cable that gets dragged around the Bahamas during my vacations. 

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

lmfao
Nash
Kind of a big deal

In addition, regardless of the manufacturer, you'll want to ensure that your delicate pieces will be protected from the elements.

I'd be concerned about salt and humidity over time.

Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

I don't see any issues with using Meraki kit on a yacht, apart from:

• Most of the folk promoting themselves as expert in fitting out marine environments for WiFi are delusional.
  • The on-board equipment, TVs, Audio etc as well as laptops, may be completely or partially dependent on subscription services distributed using multicast IP.
  • PCBs are liable to become etched when operated in a high temperature/high humidity salt-laden environment.

Also - 

• Ashore I have solved the multicast issue by using a third party security gateway and switch ahead of the Meraki kit. This is a cost effective solution.
  • If satellite connections require IPv6 to be active, I advise organising a trial prior to committing to a Meraki stack, as the Meraki IPv6 implementation is not yet completely transparent across the product range.
  • Cleaning circuit boards is a simple task and not onerous.
  • Recently, Meraki hardware has been successfully deployed aboard America's Cup support boats.
  • Independently verify everything you are told.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

@NolanHerring  Hmmm I haven't got a Meraki yacht as part of any swag I have recieved so far. 

7152699_20190719105851647_1_XLARGE.jpg

Interestingly, when the clever computer stuff for the broadcasters was set up for the last AC challenge in SF, the work was all designed and implemented by one of the Bay Area's giants of sailing (and the application of tech in broadcasting), whom I will refer to as Stan. Stan has impeccable SV contacts. However, when he was lashing together what was needed to seamlessly integrate the computer simulation with the live broadcast feed he chose not to use Meraki, or Ruckus, for that matter, but another local network manufacturer's kit. In part because this brand had a wider PtP and PtMP offering to complement the WiFi systems. As far as I was concerned, this manufacturer dropped the ball and made no use of this dream of a marketing opportunity, but that's network nerds for you.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.