Meraki Setup for Multiple Buildings?

Solved
Callus_Darklore
Conversationalist

Meraki Setup for Multiple Buildings?

I have multiple buildings all connected through SMF to the main building. The main building has 2 MX100 Routers (1 is warm spare), and has the internet connection. I am unsure of the proper Meraki setup for keeping internet connectivity to a secondary building if the SMF gets cut or damaged, do I need to set up a warm spare at each of the buildings with their own internet connection?
Here is a very basic diagram i made for how we are set up currently, we have 4 secondary buildings. Yellow is SM Fiber.
network-basic.jpg

1 Accepted Solution
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You should either have another ISP connection at the secondary building as @alemabrahao says, or you could have:

• Second fibre from primary to secondary building using a diverse route
  • Wireless point to point link between buildings
  • MG cellular router in secondary buildings along with MX.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

To have full redundancy in both buildings, the ideal is for you to have an MX in each building configured in Warm Spare.

It is advisable to have at least two Links from different ISPs and preferably the router of one ISP is in one building and the other in the other building, this way you can guarantee redundancy in the event of failure of one of the ISPs or one of the MXes.

Remembering that there must also be redundant fibers to interconnect each building.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Callus_Darklore
Conversationalist

I cannot find anything in https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Deployment_Guides/MX_Warm_Spare_-_High_Availability_Pair that says I can have more than 1 warm spare.

Also, I cannot find any place to add a 2nd warm spare in the meraki dashboard.

Actually I didn't say that you can have a second firewall as a warm spare.

What I'm talking about is to install a new pair of MX in the second building or move your secondary MX to the second building.

I think you're a little confused.

Today I have an structure of a client with 4 DCs, in each DC it has a pair of MX in Warm spare and all 4 pairs act as HUB.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You should either have another ISP connection at the secondary building as @alemabrahao says, or you could have:

• Second fibre from primary to secondary building using a diverse route
  • Wireless point to point link between buildings
  • MG cellular router in secondary buildings along with MX.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.