MS425-16 Warm spare with stacking, what options are possible

SOLVED
Djomatch
Here to help

MS425-16 Warm spare with stacking, what options are possible

Hello,

I'm actually deplying 4 MS425-16, two stacked switches in each datacenters and muss have a VRRP between them.

What options do I have, since it seems like Warm spare doe not work while stacking is activated.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Djomatch
Here to help

Hello everyone, thanks for your feedback.

I finaly decided to use virtual stacking between all DC Switches, which solved our problem.

Regards,

Lionel

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Why use VRRP if you're already stacking?

In a warm spare MS configuration, VRRP will be leveraged to exchange heartbeats and determine if the warm spare should take over when the primary fails.  But if you just create a physical stack, and stagger your devices (especially any dual-homed devices) across multiple switches in a physical stack, that tends to meet the majority of use-cases.  You can also do cross-stack LACP so if you're uplinking/downlinking to other switches or switch stacks, that works too.  Double check this doc https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Layer_3_Switching/MS_Warm_Spare_(VRRP)_Overview to see if it's really what your requirements dictate as opposed to physical stacking, and let us know if something's not clear.

Enthusiast
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

@Djomatch wrote:

I'm actually deplying 4 MS425-16, two stacked switches in each datacenters and muss have a VRRP between them.

This implies stretching L2 between your DC's. Don't do that. Tell your server guys it's a dumb idea. Use L3 instead.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You'll need to change your design.  You can't stack the switches and use VRRP.  One or the other.

You might want to consider using the stacked switches for layer 2 connectivity only, and using dedicated layer 3 devices for providing default gateway protection.

If you want to use a single set of devicea then Meraki switching may not be the right choice.  You could consider using the Cisco Nexus family instead.

I respectively disagree with @jdsilva .  I used stretched layer 2 DC designs all the time.  It is not straight forward being able to have a DR strategy for some apps that involves you having to re-IP them.  Keeping everything look the same gives you huge safety.

Djomatch
Here to help

Hello everyone, thanks for your feedback.

I finaly decided to use virtual stacking between all DC Switches, which solved our problem.

Regards,

Lionel

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.