Ignore some clients high traffic usage alert

amabt
Building a reputation

Ignore some clients high traffic usage alert

We have many sites with CCTV devices which as expected generate high amount of traffic. we've setup an alert to notify us of any devices with unexpected high usage. Issue is we keep getting alerted for the CCTV NVR / Cameras. Which we already know and want to exclude them from those alerts.

Meraki support sugest we whitelist them. As I understand it, whitelisting has side effect that it will ignore firewall rules etc.

Whats the best way to set specific devices to be ignored for high traffic usage so we don't keep getting them (effectively false alarm for us).

I tried looking at the Network Group Policies. However this does not seem have any option there to ignore high traffic alert.

Thanks

5 Replies 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I can't think of an easy way to achieve this.  You would have to do something like put the entire camera network in a different Meraki network so you could have different alert settings.

amabt
Building a reputation

Unfortunately the cameras are not Meraki and they are spread all over different different physical switch.

TBHPTL
A model citizen

I don't know of a way to do this wither. Frankly, I dont think whitelisting solves anything either as the metrics will still be gathered.  You can whitelist a client with a custom group policy that will prevent them from bypassing your firewall rules... Increase your your Top X client count in the report to compensate for slots the Camera/NVRs occupy...

amabt
Building a reputation

Its not the Top X usage that we care about. Its the constant alert that device X has high usage thats causing unessary noise in alerting.

TBHPTL
A model citizen

make a feature request to Meraki to ignore or include ports with a tag...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.