Devices missing from the topology view

Pugmiester
Building a reputation

Devices missing from the topology view

Hi all, this has me puzzled.

We have replaced an older model Cisco Catalyst switch with a Meraki MS210-24P but it's not visible on the topology, neither is the MR32 on the other side of it. Before we started, our topology looked like this :-
MX-100 <> Catalyst 4500 (Our core) <> SFP fibre <> Catalyst <> MR32

The new setup looks like this :-
MX-100 <> Catalyst 4500 (Our core) <> New MS225-48FP <> SFP fibre <> New MS210-24P <> MR32

None of the new hardware appears on the topology view, nor does the MR32. I must say I'm not 100% certain the MR32 was visible before the move but if I use the search on the topology view it lists 1 device found but it's not visible.

We moved the fibre connection to the MS225 because we were burning up a 10Gbps SFP+ port on the core switch for a generally 10Mbps throughput connection. The links between all of the switches are trunks carrying native VLAN1 plus a couple of others in use on site.

Could it simply be that the topology view isn't updated in realtime or maybe only after a switch restarts (VLAN1 was filtered off the trunk initially)?

7 REPLIES 7
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

mx switch and wireless are in one combined network?

you enabled lldp on the catalyst?

Pugmiester
Building a reputation

Hi @ww, yes all of the hardware is in the same combined network.

I'm unsure if LLDP was enabled on the old Catalyst switch, I would guess not as I don't recall enabling it but I'm puzzled by why the Meraki switches seem to not be seeing their Meraki neighbours in the end to end path.

I know that @MerakiDave was in contact with the MS and support teams regarding a similar issue. Perhaps he can post back. The topic I'm referring to is this one:

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Network-Wide/Network-topology-is-not-updated/td-p/27174

I'd open a support case anyway. LLDP enabled or disabled should only result in the catalyst being shown or not and in my opinion shouldn't have an impact on the rest of the topology.

Pugmiester
Building a reputation

Hi @BrechtSchamp, based on @PhilipDAth comment about the 24 hour timing, it'll roll over to that around 10:00 this morning so I'll see what it looks like later in the day and failing that I'll raise a ticket with support.

Thanks all.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The topology view sometimes takes a day to update.  Has it been more than 24 hours?

Pugmiester
Building a reputation

Hi @PhilipDAth, we made the changes on Friday afternoon so there should have been plenty of time but I didn't realise  that I hadn't added VLAN1 to the trunk until I noticed the missing hardware yesterday morning so I'll see how things look later in the day.

Pugmiester
Building a reputation

Hi all. So, I logged a ticket with Meraki support and the upshot seems to be that the current mix of Meraki and Catalyst devices is preventing the network from being discovered correctly. I can understand that but I don't get why replacing Catalyst with Meraki hardware has made this particular area less visible to the topology view. Most odd.

However, there's mention of LLDP which we don't currently run on the Catalyst devices so I think I'm going to enable it and see if that helps get a better picture of what's connected to what and I'll report back.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.