NEW Meraki MDM Deployment - iTunes and iCloud Restorations Required

Solved
CMurdaugh
Here to help

NEW Meraki MDM Deployment - iTunes and iCloud Restorations Required

Good evening all! 

My name is Chris and I am an IT Manager here in Columbia, SC. We have Meraki MDM implemented on a few phones and are looking to MDM all of our corporate phones. We are in the process of migrating carriers so we need to touch every phone in the company which creates a great opportunity to MDM the non-MDM company phones that we have currently, and/or deploy the new phones with MDM. My challenge seems to be setting up MDM fully while also restoring from an end-users iTunes backup. When restoring from an iTunes backup, the SM app has to be installed manually and the phone does not become fully supervised and the Meraki profile is removable. We want the transition to be as smooth as possible. Do you have any recommendations as to how we can achieve a restore that will maintain full supervision and hardening of the phones? If there is already a thread on this, I do apologize. I looked and did not see anything specific to this topic. Thank you all in advance for your insight. 

Best Regards,

Chris Murdaugh

1 Accepted Solution
Melissa
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

I believe where we landed on this was that if you are trying to bring a device from an unsupervised to a supervised state, restore from backup will not work at initial setup (either from itunes or icloud). Our recommended method would be to have your users sync any app data in icloud, and then login and re-download that app data from icloud once setup is complete (this can't be done in the "restore from backup" step in initial setup). I would probably suggest skipping that step (you can take it out of the setup process by selecting it in "skip steps" when applying DEP settings). 

Note - if you were *just* enrolling the device in DEP and not supervising it, it sounds like restore from backup would work at initial setup.

With regard to the wifi profile disappearing once it's enrolled - I believe what's happening is once you have configured the Meraki Management Profile (SM), any previous profiles will be removed. To configure a wifi profile with Systems Manager, you can set one up in the Systems Manager>Settings page. Here's more on that - https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Profiles_and_Settings/Configuration_Settings 

I'm not sure why you're not able to access user account settings - do you mean the user is no longer logged in (to icloud?) or that logging in to icloud is blocked? There is a restriction you can set to block this - in SM it is under Settings>Restrictions>Allow Modifying Account Settings. If this was unchecked, that would block a user from signing in to icloud. 

Hope this helps! 

View solution in original post

69 Replies 69
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels