Documentation Feedback - Definition of a Client

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Documentation Feedback - Definition of a Client

Hi ,

Starting this week , I have been noticing some "phantom" clients. They have "0" usage , null vlan null ip null description and they are all Wireless clients ( probably failed auth , but still got sampled as a valid client ).

{"id":"k6ab678","mac":"12:59:34:a3:4b:f2","description":null,"ip":null,"ip6":null,"ip6Local":null,"user":"dyq8858","firstSeen":"2024-06-26T13:07:36Z","lastSeen":"2024-06-26T13:07:36Z","manufacturer":null,"os":null,"deviceTypePrediction":null,"recentDeviceSerial":"XXXXXXXXXX","recentDeviceName":"XXXXXXXX","recentDeviceMac":"XXXXXXX","recentDeviceConnection":"Wireless","ssid":"XXXXXXX","vlan":"","switchport":null,"usage":{"sent":0,"recv":1,"total":1},"status":"Offline","notes":null,"groupPolicy8021x":null,"adaptivePolicyGroup":null,"smInstalled":false,"pskGroup":null,"wirelessCapabilities":"802.11ac - 2.4 and 5 GHz"}

RaphaelL_0-1719585188916.png

I found that weird and opened a ticket. Support told me : We expect clients to show up if they currently passed at least 1KB of data (excluding splash page traffic).   Which seems to be in direct conflic with :

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Clients_Usage_Page_Ov...

A client will only appear in the list once it has passed Internet traffic. If a device, such as a LAN printer, does not pass any Internet traffic, then it will not appear in the list.

Either the documentation is invalid or Support is wrong on that  OR something recently changed. 

Wanted a second opinion on that one. 

Cheers ,

2 Replies 2
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is this a network with another Meraki device family as well, like MX or MS?

Perhaps something is getting mixed up with where it has seen the device traffic.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Full stack , MX MS MR. Client sampling disabled on uplinks and client is seen on MR. Basicly nothing changed config wise or in the topology for all our networks but I keep seeing more and more of those "1kb" clients.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.