lastReportedAt time value variance

Solved
Pmeza
Here to help

lastReportedAt time value variance

Hello,

Question about the time value of 'lastReportedAt'.

I currently have a connection between Tableau Server and Meraki API data. Data is pulled and refreshed every 5 minutes from dashboard.organizations.getOrganizationDevicesStatuses(organization_id, total_pages = "all") . If I pull the data at x time, for example1:30pm, the 'lastReportAt' field shows different timestamps for each unique device (Identified by unique serial number).

Below is an example of 1 pull at 12:21:30pm on 6-21 and the timestamp(UTC time) variance for each serial device:

Each pull is for a unique device.

1st device was reported at 12:20:47 seconds, last device at 12:21:29 seconds.

I have 2 questions. Is the variance in seconds normal? and why is there a variance? I ask because I would assume if the request is being done at 12:21:30pm, then the timestamp would show 12:21:30pm for all of the devices, or in this case 3:21:30pm UTC time.

Pmeza_2-1687370206165.png

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution
sungod
Head in the Cloud

lastReportedAt is the time that Dashboard last heard from a device.

Not the time of the API call.

There is no synchronisation of when devices and Dashboard communicate, each is a separate event, so each can have a different LRA time.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Madhan_kumar_G
Getting noticed

Hi,

You have mentioned "Data is pulled and refreshed every 5 minutes". Where did you set this polling interval?

Hi Madhan, the data is pulled with a Python script every x seconds (in this case 300 seconds) at the 30 second mark of a minute.

sungod
Head in the Cloud

lastReportedAt is the time that Dashboard last heard from a device.

Not the time of the API call.

There is no synchronisation of when devices and Dashboard communicate, each is a separate event, so each can have a different LRA time.

Hi Sungod,

Thank you for the fast reply! That makes sense:)

Pmeza
Here to help

As an update to this thread, I updated the code to pull data at the 55th second mark and now it pulls whatever was reported within that minute instead of showing status from 2 different minutes.

Example showing only what was reported within a specific minute mark.

Pmeza_0-1687440490553.png

Thanks everyone for your help!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.