Which is the second best language to learn to work with Meraki API after Python

SOLVED
Farrukh
Getting noticed

Which is the second best language to learn to work with Meraki API after Python

I use build products for the customers.Which is the second best language to learn to work with Meraki API after Python. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

node.js is often "just in time" compiled, like Java.  As such it runs use native machine instructions.  It is not interpreted like Python.  Compared to Python it screams.

You can also compile node.js into a native "program" on Windows, Mac, Linux.  I think you can also create Smartphone apps with it as well.

node.js is best suited for "event" based programming (aka "this" happens so do "that"), such as when processing location analytics, MV analytics, MQTT, etc.

node.js uses JSON natively, so it makes it super easy when working with APIs like Meraki that also use JSON.  There is no "conversion".

Python is quite good when yoiu have a sequential series of steps to perform.  Such as do "this", then "this" and lastly "that" and if "x" then "y".

Python doesn't support JSON natively.  So you have to convert in and out of JSON when talking to APIs like Meraki.  However this is relatively simple thanks to a json library.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Nash
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth is using NodeJs, if I recall correctly, and finds it faster than Python. I need to look into it to be honest. He makes it sound good!

I've also seen people use PowerShell in Windows environments.

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

At Cisco Live last year @TonyC and @chengineer (BRKRST-1733) had some data about the user agents hitting the API. For languages, after Python it was Go.

image.png

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

node.js is often "just in time" compiled, like Java.  As such it runs use native machine instructions.  It is not interpreted like Python.  Compared to Python it screams.

You can also compile node.js into a native "program" on Windows, Mac, Linux.  I think you can also create Smartphone apps with it as well.

node.js is best suited for "event" based programming (aka "this" happens so do "that"), such as when processing location analytics, MV analytics, MQTT, etc.

node.js uses JSON natively, so it makes it super easy when working with APIs like Meraki that also use JSON.  There is no "conversion".

Python is quite good when yoiu have a sequential series of steps to perform.  Such as do "this", then "this" and lastly "that" and if "x" then "y".

Python doesn't support JSON natively.  So you have to convert in and out of JSON when talking to APIs like Meraki.  However this is relatively simple thanks to a json library.

Nash
Kind of a big deal

Ah hah! So I don't actually have to worry about node.js right now, since I'm primarily doing sequential work right now. Yaaaaay!

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have to say it is quite mind bender switching between thinking sequential and event based programing models.

chengineer
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

FYI team, we just released a complete update of the Python SDK/library. You can find more details here on this post in the Early Access Developer Program: https://community.meraki.com/t5/Developer-Early-Access-Resources/Python-SDK-entirely-revamped-amp-up...

Solutions Architect @ Cisco Meraki | API & Developer Ecosystem
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.