Where to begin?

Capt_Caaaveman
Getting noticed

Where to begin?

I'm really new to the Meraki world.  I was a sysadmin with some decent networking skills.  Mostly the IOS. 

We have several dozen Meraki switches here and will be getting more.  So I wanted to be able to do the things we currently do with our IOS switches.  

Im trying to get info on the API so I can run commands.  Im a bit confused on how to even start?

I found this  https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api-v1/getting-started/#getting-started

I cant figure out how to download Postman.  I go to the link from the getting started page, but then Im lost

And I also see that there are powershell modules, but I only see that it is limited usage with powershell. 

How else can I interface with the switches?  Whats the pros and cons of each?

I know nothing about Python, FYI

Thank you.

4 Replies 4
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Thank you.   I just figured out when I clicked "run in postman" it give me a link to a download app for windows, or can run from the web interface.

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

TBH I'd start with the Dashboard and get a good understanding of that, before you start to use the API.   You'll get a feel for the art of the possible and just how things hang together in the Meraki world - it's pretty different from the world of IOS.   You'll also get a feel for the kinds of things you might need to use the API for, either to automate stuff ('if this, then that') and/or make changes at scale.  That's all assuming that (for instance) you can't or don't want to use Meraki Templates, which are a way of making changes quickly at scale but entirely self-contained within the Dashboard (i.e. - only needs GUI!).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.