What is the official Python package?

Solved
jmalcaide
Comes here often

What is the official Python package?

Hello Meraki comunity,

I am starting to work with the Meraki API and this is my first post.

The question may seem trivial but I found several packages in PIP.

meraki (0.34) - Cisco Meraki Dashboard API Python 3.6 Module
meraki-api (1.1.3) - Meraki Dashboard API wrapper.
meraki-sdk (1.0.2) - Python client library for Meraki Dashboard API  <-- https://developer.cisco.com points to this pck.
meraki-dashboard-api (1.0.0) - Meraki Dashboard API
merakicommons (1.0.9) - Common toolset for Meraki Analaytics projects

There is a lot of documentation (Meraki videos, labs, code exchange) but it seems that each one uses different packages.

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution
wifijanitor
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I think that meraki-sdk is the "official" release, though "merkai" that Shen has written will work as well.

meraki-sdk is based on the OpenAPI standard, and is what is documented on developer.cisco.com as you  saw.

Keep in mind that there is going to be a lag between what gets committed to github (most current and up-to-date version), and auto generated in the docs and what is released on pypi.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Nash
Kind of a big deal

If you need to use an official package, I would use the SDK at this point.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I've been using the "meraki" module myself.

Crash_Override
Here to help

Im not sure what you mean by "official" but as @PhilipDAth said, I have been using the Meraki module myself with no issue. 

Based on this post by @chengineer I'd say both the module and the SDK are official:

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Developers-APIs/Python-API/m-p/45830/highlight/true#M1303

Thank you all.

By "official" I meant a package that is up to date with the latest API endpoints and that Cisco Meraki includes in its documentation and examples. 

wifijanitor
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I think that meraki-sdk is the "official" release, though "merkai" that Shen has written will work as well.

meraki-sdk is based on the OpenAPI standard, and is what is documented on developer.cisco.com as you  saw.

Keep in mind that there is going to be a lag between what gets committed to github (most current and up-to-date version), and auto generated in the docs and what is released on pypi.

chengineer
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

FYI team, we just released a complete update of the Python SDK/library. You can find more details here on this post in the Early Access Developer Program: https://community.meraki.com/t5/Developer-Early-Access-Resources/Python-SDK-entirely-revamped-amp-up...

Solutions Architect @ Cisco Meraki | API & Developer Ecosystem
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.