Valid Role options for syslog servers

Ozgur
Here to help

Valid Role options for syslog servers

For syslog server settings, on the API docs, it is stated that valid options for role field are these: 'Wireless event log', 'Appliance event log', 'Switch event log', 'Air Marshal events', 'Flows', 'URLs', 'IDS alerts', 'Security events'

I have a combined (wireless / security / switch) network. For this network, I can successfully create a syslog server if I include any subset of role options except 'IDS alerts' and 'Security events'. If I include any one of these two, I get a 400 error with the following message: 'Please select at least one valid role for server_address:port'. I also don't see these 2 roles as options on the dashboard.

Is there a specific network type, account feature or anything for which these syslog role types are enabled? If that is the case, can I get that info from the API? Or maybe are these role types deprecated?

1 REPLY 1
kmcgaugh
Here to help

If you do not see the 2 roles 'IDS Alerts' and 'Security events' from your dashboard, then you cannot leverage them in the API as roles. I am able to use the Security events role in my syslog settings through the API across several branch locations for one of my clients, all which consist of combined networks (wireless/switch/security). 

It is unusual that 'Security events' is not a selectable role, so I would open a case with Meraki support to have them check out what could be going on; I am unsure on the 'IDS alerts' role as I've never seen that as an option in the dashboard, and in the current API library, I do not see that as a role option either.

Kaleb Mohr, CCNA
Sr. Network Administrator
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.