cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(VERY) Incomplete dashboard API?

Conversationalist

(VERY) Incomplete dashboard API?

Hello,

I was looking at the dashboard RESTful API looking for ways to automate data extraction from devices and networks from the dashboard, but I noticed a lot of information that can be found on the HTTP version of the dashboard cannot be retrieved through the API. Examples:

IP configuration details of devices (gateways, DNS, vlans, etc); syslog settings, among other configuration details.

Are those information still missing in the API or it is just a documentation issue? Are there plans for newer and more complete releases of the API?

Thank you.

Tags (1)
13 REPLIES
Head in the Cloud

Re: (VERY) Incomplete dashboard API?

I have tried to do what you have mentioned - but I think the API is more designed around provisioning devices rather than extracting information.

Conversationalist

I haven't looked into those particular features, but I have found that most (all?) of the Dashboard is REST/JSON based, so you can probably hack something up with a bit of reverse engineering.

Conversationalist

I doubt that.. many extraction functions, but incomplete information. Considering Meraki is a web based environment you cant even connect to the devices to download its configuration file (that might be needed for many different enterprise processes, such as security compliance health checks for instance), a complete API is a must.

New here

Agreed!  Large Enterprise customers need a full API to effectively manage these devices in this day and age.  I've actually written quite a lot of modules to use the API, but found it was missing key information I needed, such as editing the notes field on devices (among other things).  The thing about a great API is how many possibilities you open up to advanced customers to solve problems.

Meraki Employee

Can you share with me the types of modules you've written and what limitations you encountered? I've written a number of sample API projects for Meraki and would like to get more perspective from real users.

Thanks

Cory

Building a reputation

I want to utilise the API for our company but we need the App Version in the API before I can even recommend a project.

Thank you,
Peter James

Meraki Employee

What is the "App Version"? Are you referring to applications that are sent to mobile devices via Systems Manager? The APIs for this product focus primarily on the devices to automate provisioning. The capabilities are expanding, so I'm interested what the end goal might look like.

Building a reputation

@DexterLaBora Yes. The installed applications on a client device, alongside their installed version number.

I would like to query the API for a device and its installed Applications and version. You have a field (missingAppsCount) that shows how many applications are missing from the device, so this information you must clearly have already.

You currently have "https://dashboard.meraki.com/api/v0/networks/[networkId]/sm/devices"

Which offers the following:

"Additional fields that will be displayed for each device. Multiple fields can be passed in as comma separated values. The default fields are: id, name, tags, ssid, wifiMac, osName, systemModel, uuid, and serialNumber. The additional fields are: ip, systemType, availableDeviceCapacity, kioskAppName, biosVersion, lastConnected, missingAppsCount, userSuppliedAddress, location, lastUser, publicIp, phoneNumber, diskInfoJson, deviceCapacity, isManaged, hadMdm, isSupervised, meid, imei, iccid, simCarrierNetwork, cellularDataUsed, isHotspotEnabled, createdAt, batteryEstCharge, quarantined, avName, avRunning, asName, fwName, isRooted, loginRequired, screenLockEnabled, screenLockDelay, autoLoginDisabled, hasMdm, hasDesktopAgent, diskEncryptionEnabled, hardwareEncryptionCaps, and passCodeLock."

We just need two new fields: installedApps and installedAppsVers.

Mju
New here

Hi there

I think some of the missing API is.

When creating a new network, it is not possible to clone a existing network.

There are no API calls that can tell if a switch/firewall is online.

Mvh M

Building a reputation

Meraki Employee

Hi Forster,

Looks like we need to update the documentation page here. Several of the example configuration details you mentioned are available but not shown on the API docs page. Your examples like Subnet, DNS settings (some), and Add/Remove VLANs are available in the VLANs endpoint of the Dashboard API. Configuring Syslog servers is however not available. 

GET /networks/[networkId]/vlans API Docs page

How would anyone know about the API endpoints if they are not on the API docs page? Our documentation page is only the very tip of the iceberg. Have you visited the Meraki Developers website? Here are some helpful links:

http://developers.meraki.com/api - Dashboard API

http://developers.meraki.com/postman - Postman collection

https://github.com/meraki/ - Open source code

There is an entire python library of sample code on our GitHub to help get you started. Also, an easy way is to configure it on the dashboard, and then do a GET request via API to see the syntax. 

The Dashboard API launched less than 2 years ago, and we've invested a great deal of engineering effort on growing not just it's comprehensiveness/completeness, but also we've improved its responsiveness.  The API is version 0 today, and new features are being added all the time.

Thanks,

Colin Lowenberg

developers.meraki.com

Colin
developers.meraki.com
Community Manager

Hey all - For some reason Colin's post above got sent to our spam quarantine - that's why you're just seeing it now although it was actually posted 2 weeks ago. Whoops!

Caroline S | Community Manager, Cisco Meraki
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
Highlighted
Meraki Employee

Updating my answer above. The parameters you were looking for are now visible in the API Docs here: https://dashboard.meraki.com/api_docs#update-a-vlan

PARAMETERS

• name
    The name of the VLAN
  • subnet
    The subnet of the VLAN
  • applianceIp
    The local IP of the appliance on the VLAN
  • fixedIpAssignments
    The DHCP fixed IP assignments on the VLAN
  • reservedIpRanges
    The DHCP reserved IP ranges on the VLAN
  • vpnNatSubnet
    The translated VPN subnet if VPN and VPN subnet translation are enabled on the VLAN
  • dnsNameservers
    The DNS nameservers used for DHCP responses, either "upstream_dns", "google_dns", "opendns", or a newline seperated string of IP addresses or domain names

The API Docs shows this example request:

[
{
"id": 1,
"networkId": "L_646829496481095588",
"name": "Default",
"applianceIp": "192.168.128.1",
"subnet": "192.168.128.0/24",
"fixedIpAssignments":
{
"b8:f6:b1:17:2c:b3":
{