Meraki API V0 to V1 changes

Solved
divman123
Conversationalist

Meraki API V0 to V1 changes

Spoiler
I'm a bit new to the Meraki API so please excuse me for my ignorance.

I've been working on a script that made use of the SM endpoint (/networks/{networkId}/sm/devices) to list the devices enrolled in an SM network with various specified fields and filters.

I have few of questions:

1) Is there an equivalent to this in the APIV1 update?

2) Will there be documentation on what has been deprecated or moved?

3) When will APIV0 stop working?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution
Meraki_John
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

There will definitely be updates in a few (of the usual) places.

The quickest place to see all updates as they happen is in the WebEx Teams room: eurl.io/#SJ73d317E

This is a live stream as soon as any change is made to the GA version of the API, the bot put's a card in here with the change details and a link to the documentation.

Sometimes the documentation takes a couple of days to catch up as this is made on a batch process once any new endpoints go live.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Meraki_John
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hi @divman123 

Some great questions around the move to v1.

Let me do my best at answering them...

1. All endpoints should exist somewhere in v1 (they will have been moved/amalgamated/etc., but should still exist).

The endpoint you are looking for is: {{baseUrl}}/networks/:networkId/sm/devices/ 

I had a look in the documentation, and it might be slightly confusing, so I messaged the product managers to check out.
  2. I don't think there's going to be any additional information for what's been moved. The documentation site has a really good search feature to find what you need to. Have a search here, and you should find everything you need.
  3. We don't have an official v0 sunset deadline yet.

For the last few months and going forward, there have been no new endpoints added to v0 - only v1 will receive feature updates.

In terms of support, only broken fixes will be updated in to v0 (for example, documentation updates, etc. that are not affecting the endpoint itself will probably not be updated going forward, whereas something returning a 404, where it shouldn't be for example, would be fixed).

After approx. 1 year we are going to look at the usage of v0 and actively reach out to developers who are still using the old version in an effort to help them move to v1. It will be at this point that the product managers are going to decide on a sunset timeline.

That being said, I would definitely not be developing anything on v0 now (if it was me), so I would encourage everyone to move to v1 where all the shiny new features are, as well as a longer life of the version, etc.

Thanks! 😄 

EDIT: 

I've just had a message from the product managers that the SM endpoint I mentioned may not be available in GA (just beta testers) and this was because there was a minor issue that needed some work regarding the tags field on the SM devices (changing it to an array of strings, instead of one long comma-seperated string).

We didn't want to release v1 officially and then alter the field type later (as this would be a breaking change), and we didn't want to hold up the release, so we just temporarily kept this one back.

This is a high priority for the team and you can expect to see this appear soon.

Thanks!

Whew, thanks for the thorough reply! I'll continue working on the v0 version for my script for the time being. If this input matters for any potential changes, my script relies on this endpoint for both the tag information and the lastConnected data. Also, will there be an announcement or notification on this endpoint availability?

Meraki_John
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

There will definitely be updates in a few (of the usual) places.

The quickest place to see all updates as they happen is in the WebEx Teams room: eurl.io/#SJ73d317E

This is a live stream as soon as any change is made to the GA version of the API, the bot put's a card in here with the change details and a link to the documentation.

Sometimes the documentation takes a couple of days to catch up as this is made on a batch process once any new endpoints go live.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.