How frequently are switch port status packets updated?

SOLVED
boomi
Getting noticed

How frequently are switch port status packets updated?

This is the endpoint I'm querying: (https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api/#/rest/api-endpoints/switch-ports/get-device-switch-port-stat...)

I'm configuring monitoring to poll this every 3 minutes, and I set timespan=180. So every 3 minutes, I expect to get values back that indicate the packet count seen for the past 3 minutes.

However, it looks like most of the time consecutive polls are duplicate values. This implies the actual data the API is retrieving isn't being updated as fast as I'm polling it. (Validated in Postman that successive queries are static.)

Is there documentation as to how frequently data like this is updated? I suppose it's not a problem to just up the values to 5 minutes.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TonyC
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The interval for this data is ~5minutes. Note that there are variables outside of Meraki's control that could affect this, such as ISP/WAN latency for example. We are exploring ways to convey this information to developers (refresh interval / last-update-at).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ChrisC83
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi,

I don't believe there is documentation explicitly saying how often this info will be updated.

Basically, the time is depending on how often the Dashboard query the switch port for this info and updated for API query since API only query the Dashboard.

It may be worth sending a feature request regarding your issue. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Chris

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.
TonyC
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The interval for this data is ~5minutes. Note that there are variables outside of Meraki's control that could affect this, such as ISP/WAN latency for example. We are exploring ways to convey this information to developers (refresh interval / last-update-at).
boomi
Getting noticed

Thanks all! That makes sense and I can work with knowing that it's about 5 minutes.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.