Get Network Traffic API - Question

Solved
NJNetworkGuy100
Getting noticed

Get Network Traffic API - Question

Couple of questions about the 1.x version of the Get Network Traffic API call...

Is this the same traffic info that comes from the Traffic Analytics page under Network-Wide-->Monitor-->Traffic Analytics?  

I'm assuming the traffic usage is in KB?  

And the "combined" option just means to output the traffic stats from the device type (appliance, wireless, switch, cellular) with the highest traffic total for that Application/Port/Destination?  

I'm writing a script that asks what kind of traffic to search for (Application, Destination, Port) and a value, searches through all the networks, and then outputs the results from all networks to a spreadsheet.  

1 Accepted Solution
RomanMD
Building a reputation

This API endpoint is indeed working exactly as you have explained, and returns the data from Traffic Analytics. 

I've double checked it and I can confirm that the values are in KB. 

According to the documentation "When using 'combined', for each rule the data will come from the device type with the most usage." - it is not very clear for me this one, but if in a network there would be Access Points and Security appliance - they will return the data for one which has highest usage - > which I don't find it very clever, therefore I would check that separately per device type.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
RomanMD
Building a reputation

This API endpoint is indeed working exactly as you have explained, and returns the data from Traffic Analytics. 

I've double checked it and I can confirm that the values are in KB. 

According to the documentation "When using 'combined', for each rule the data will come from the device type with the most usage." - it is not very clear for me this one, but if in a network there would be Access Points and Security appliance - they will return the data for one which has highest usage - > which I don't find it very clever, therefore I would check that separately per device type.

Thanks for confirming!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.