Devices don't come online in new network

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Devices don't come online in new network

Hi all,

I have the need to deploy temporary networks from time to time that start with the same config and get disposed when the network is not needed any more.

Here is what I do (completely with the API) when I need this temp-network:

1. Get the organization networks.
  2. Delete the network
  3. Create a new network
  4. Claim the devices to the new network
  5. Configure all needed parameters

This all works like a charm. But:

The device that was in the previous network doesn't come online until I do a factory reset on that device.

Is there a way to make it work that I don't need a factory reset in this workflow? I assume that this problem can be caused by the fact that the moment I delete the old network, the devices are already offline. This is something I can not control here.

Any Ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
Greenberet
Head in the Cloud

how about removing the devices first from the old network and then add them to the new network?

1) get the orgnaization networks

2) remove device(s) from the network

3) create new network

4) add device to the new network

5) remove old network

6) configure all needed parameters

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'll give this a try but don't expect it to work as in the end, it will be the same. I'll report back when I tested it.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Does it definitely need a factory reset, or is cycling the port to the device (if it is an MR or something similar) also work?

If cycling the power is enough;

Is this device in a fixed location, like a lab?  Can it be PoE powered, so you can cycle the power to it?

Otherwise, could it be plugged into a smart plug, and you use the API to trigger a power cycle?

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Cycling the power was not enough. We had a couple of power cycles while testing.

The local status page states that it is connected to the internet but not to the cloud. After the factory reset they directly go online.

boundless-digit
Getting noticed

We've built a tool to migrate devices from one network to another while preserving their configs, and this bug has been a HUGE pain in the ass.

The workaround we're working with now (still under testing)

1) remove device from old network

2) reboot device (instead of reset) so it enters failsafe mode, and updates the local device settings

3) wait an hour for the device removal to propagate across the meraki cloud (only needed for cross-org transfers)

4) reclaim the device to new network

5) reboot again (optional)

So far this seems promising, but yeah.. its a pain

Sidney Burks
Captive Portal and Meraki API Automation
Founder and CTO, Boundless Digital
sidney@boundless.fr
https://www.boundless.fr
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.