Determine SM License Type

bryand23
Here to help

Determine SM License Type

Is there a way to determine if an organization is on the legacy SM license model (the one with 100 free licenses)? Particularly if they're on the co-termination model and I can't check individual license types.

Current workaround is to check the license count, and if == 100, then I mark them as "potential legacy". This is not a great workaround though, as it's possible to have 100 paid seats.

6 REPLIES 6
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

It will tell you the SM license type for the Org under Organization > Configure > License info

Sorry if my post was unclear - I'm trying to do this via the API.

bryand23
Here to help

Bump. Would really love to find a way to determine this programmatically.

I don't believe there's an endpoint that lists this, currently.

Given that the 'free 100' and legacy versions of SM are no longer available to new users (and this has been the case for some years) my guess is this may never be built.

Can you tell me more about the use case?

@GreenMan wrote:

I don't believe there's an endpoint that lists this, currently.

Given that the 'free 100' and legacy versions of SM are no longer available to new users (and this has been the case for some years) my guess is this may never be built.

Can you tell me more about the use case?

Sure - this is part of a sales/marketing initiative. I'm trying to automate/streamline our process of coordinating license renewals with our clients. We're an MSP managing 100+ organizations, so we've historically looked at an organization's inventory and cross referenced with the Meraki Cost Calculator to prepare a quote for license renewal.

Using the API has saved us a ton of time - but a lot of our clients are on the legacy SM platform, so those organizations come back with an inaccurate $4000/yr price tag to renew SM licenses.

If there's not an API endpoint available (or some clever workaround) I may just need to hard-code a list of organizations to ignore SM when preparing a quote.

I can certainly see how it would be useful to you.    I would suggest you contact your Meraki account team, to request this request be raised on the team officially.   If you haven't already, please 'Make a wish' for this - and be sure to include your use case details;   it would be useful for other MSPs, looking after numerous Orgs too, no doubt.   If you can demonstrate the applicability to many users, a wish always has a better chance of being picked up.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.