Create API to Ping a Device

Solved
ETS
Comes here often

Create API to Ping a Device

Hello,

I want to know if you can create an API to send 1 ping every 60 seconds to an IP address.

I have some sites to don't create enough "interesting traffic" over the VPN tunnel to keep it up.

Our Meraki rep suggested looking into an API.

1 Accepted Solution
Nash
Kind of a big deal

I like @ww's idea of adding an IP to the traffic shaping.

Alternately, you could setup a script on a device on your side that runs every minute and pings an IP on the remote side.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Dont  know if this works, but maybe you can add a remote ip  to the uplink statistics at  the traffic shaping config.

Nash
Kind of a big deal

I like @ww's idea of adding an IP to the traffic shaping.

Alternately, you could setup a script on a device on your side that runs every minute and pings an IP on the remote side.

ETS
Comes here often

Thanks for the assistance, I currently have a batch file on a local PC at each site that is having the issue but if the PC is turned off it stops working, I added my internal IP to traffic shaping; I will monitor and report back if the problem persists.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Another trick I have used is to configure a protocol like ntp on a printer and point it at an IP at the remote site.  Doesn't matter that it doesn't work (doesn't even matter if the remote IP is in use) - it causes regular small amounts of traffic to be generated.

ETS
Comes here often

I added the address to traffic shaping but it only worked for 24 hrs before it dropped again.

I will stick with the local ping batch file until Meraki implements a "keep-alive" option.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.