API for Setting Cellular APN value

WirelessRay
Comes here often

API for Setting Cellular APN value

I am looking for a way to automate setting the Access Point Name (APN) of MX, Z3c, and/or MG devices with cellular connectivity.  This is for multi-carrier SIM support (ala Globalgig and/or Teal).  I can't find any API for this functionality and Dashboard doesn't expose this as a configurable value, only manual console configuration is possible on MG.

5 Replies 5
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@WirelessRay : I dont think any API for that.

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com

Thats the problem.  There is no Dashboard setting for it and only the MG allows manual configuration via console.  There is no way to set the APN on MX and Z3c devices at all that I am aware of.  On all other modem/routers...Cradlepoint, Sierra, PepLink, etc....this is easily configurable.  At least if there's an API we can set this via Postman or Python script.  Thanks for the reply!

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

On mx67c i can set apn at the gui.

The documentation states mg41 can also change apn on gui.

Lets hope mg21 will suport it soon.

amabt
Building a reputation

Looks like you can now get and set SIM / APN info. However my testing found it only works with MG41E, MG21E come back with an error that says it not supported.

https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api-v1/#!get-device-cellular-sims

https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api-v1/#!update-device-cellular-sims

meraki.exceptions.APIError: devices, getDeviceCellularSims - 400 Bad Request, {'errors': ["This device's firmware does not support SIM configurations."]}

Above error is on an MG21E thats has the lastest firmware (1.9)

The docs made no mention of this limitation.

BlameDNS
Conversationalist

might need to update to 2.0. I’ve been using that API call for a few days and worked with no issue on MG41

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.