API for MX live uplink traffic

Solved
RichardChen1
Getting noticed

API for MX live uplink traffic

I'm new to API, recently finished the Devnet Meraki Express course.

I have been searching for the Dashboard API for live uplink traffic.

My idea is to fetch the data every 5 mins and convert to a flow chart in xls or google sheet. (Similar to Cisco IOS SNMP poll with Solarwinds or other monitoring tool)

I can't find anything on API guide

https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api/#/rest/getting-started

I did find API for latency and loss....

Can anyone point me to the right direction?

1 Accepted Solution
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Hey @RichardChen1,

Personally, I prefer this reference for API info: https://api.meraki.com/api_docs

But use whichever you prefer. Just providing options 🙂

As far as I'm aware there isn't an API endpoint to pull the live traffic data. I don't think you will be able to do what you are asking. Sorry. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Hey @RichardChen1,

Personally, I prefer this reference for API info: https://api.meraki.com/api_docs

But use whichever you prefer. Just providing options 🙂

As far as I'm aware there isn't an API endpoint to pull the live traffic data. I don't think you will be able to do what you are asking. Sorry. 

CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Rather than using the API, you could leverage Netflow. Something that‘s designed for this kind of task. 😉

Hi @CptnCrnch ,

Could you please elaborate a bit more on netflow with live network traffic data?

Sure: Netflow is being used on networking equipment to showtraffic going over it.

It's a combined architecture with three components:

• Flow exporter: aggregates packets into flows and exports flow records towards one or more flow collectors.
  • Flow collector: responsible for reception, storage and pre-processing of flow data received from a flow exporter.
  • Analysis application: analyzes received flow data in the context of intrusion detection or traffic profiling, for example.

The exporter is typically a switch, router, firewall or loadbalancer. Flow data consists (at least) of

1. Ingress interface
  2. Source IP address
  3. Destination IP address
  4. IP protocol
  5. Source port for UDP or TCP, 0 for other protocols
  6. Destination port for UDP or TCP, type and code for ICMP, or 0 for other protocols
  7. IP Type of Service

So basically, you're leveraging information that's available directly within the network to see what's going on in your environment.

Thanks @CptnCrnch 

Will try that on the Auvik environment.

In this case, my netflow has to be on the Meraki LAN, not on the internet right?

I‘d guess. In Meraki-land the only device capable of delivering Netflow is the MX. It acts as the exporter then. You‘d have to implement at least a collector too additionally. Don‘t know if Auvik provides you with that.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.