API call for setting IP addresses on Switches

SOLVED
Spaztibator
Here to help

API call for setting IP addresses on Switches

Hey guys.  I am writing a provisioning script to do everything I need for switches and AP.  Is there an API call to set the IP address info for a switch?

Type

IP

VLAN

Subnet Mask

Gateway

Primary DNS

Secondary DNS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

WANKiller, that is what I was afraid of. 

I think I am going to have to call out to my DHCP server to find out the subnet for that site off a common tag in both IPAM and Meraki.  Then I will take the MAC address from adding the device in Meraki to go back out to Bluecat IPAM/DHCP to set a reservation. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you talking about the management IP address or a layer 3 interface address that is used for routing client traffic?

Management only. 

Management IP address
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hmm, this functionality hasn't even been in the dashboard that long.  I can not see it in the GUI.

It's probably not much help, but I don't usually configure static management addresses on Meraki kit.  I tend to use DHCP.  That's because there is little point in the device having a fixed IP.

Except if you are using ISE for dot1x authentication. If the IP address changes, then the RADIUS messages will be rejected.

Why not have it match all switches in the subnet?  I usually just give a supernet to cover every switch in every branch.  Much easier than configuring devices individually.

There will be a mix of devices.  Some switches, some APs. And since we aren't going to be a 100% Meraki Shop, we still need to make sure there is a difference. 

It is much easier matching on the port type in the RADIUS request.

There doesn't yet appear to be a call via the API to statically set a management IP address. (Log into dashboard Help>API Docs). 

My recommendation if you're still wanting to statically configure Management IP's would A) Via dasboard/GUI. B) Via creating DHCP reservations on the DHCP server.

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

WANKiller, that is what I was afraid of. 

I think I am going to have to call out to my DHCP server to find out the subnet for that site off a common tag in both IPAM and Meraki.  Then I will take the MAC address from adding the device in Meraki to go back out to Bluecat IPAM/DHCP to set a reservation. 

You are really choosing to do this the hard way.

It is a million times simpler to leave the access points using DHCP and match a subnet and port type in RADIUS.

Your way requires a heap of automation and scripting.  One may requires - none.

There is 600 Sites.  I can't double the routing table by adding a management subnet. 

There is already going to be a heap of automation and scripting.  In the end, all a person will do is put in the ADP Site code and serial numbers, and everything else will be automated. 

Scripts will create the network using the ADP Code, name the devices, reach out to IPAM to find subnet located with ADP Code and configure the devices for the LAN IP info.  It will also reach out to TEMS to get WAN IP address info and try to apply it to the device. From there, it will also reach out to ISE to add the devices that are needed.  We are going to be adding cameras, so I will need to add them to ISE as well for MAB.

We will have 12 months to get this all done for 600+ sites.  I will have entry level provisioning engineers doing most of the work, and by the end of Q1, I will have to shift back to DC work with firewalls while the other guys continue running with this. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.