Would the factory reset of a Z1 device disable 2FA from dashboard

SOLVED
AWZ1
Here to help

Would the factory reset of a Z1 device disable 2FA from dashboard

Hello, Fellow Meraki Warriors!!!

So any of us who have dealt with 2FA issues with only one admin on the organization know how hard it can get to get back in the dashbaord. Who keeps invoice for the hardware from several years ago? No one. 

I have not attempted this yet, but would the factory reset of a Z1 device also erase/disable 2FA from dashboard? At this time it is easier for me to reconfigure the network than wait on the endless cycle of Meraki support. The only risk is if I do factory reset, and still can't get in dashboard due to 2FA issues, than it was all a waste. 

I am thinking not going to work because device config is separate from the dashboard admin access. But figured wont hurt to ask. 

Thoughts?

Thanks

Wil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Nash
Kind of a big deal

Your dashboard account and your device aren't connected like that. Your dashboard account is an account like you'd have on any other web site.

You need to look at method 2 on the recovery section here.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Nash
Kind of a big deal

Your dashboard account and your device aren't connected like that. Your dashboard account is an account like you'd have on any other web site.

You need to look at method 2 on the recovery section here.

AWZ1
Here to help

Thanks, Nash. Appreciate your response and guidance. 

I see that Method 2 is the only option in my case this time.

I am wondering is there a way to discuss with Meraki to update their policies. Meraki gives away devices during workshops and webinars with 1 Yr licenses. After that those devices get used in back offices or at home offices. Method 2 becomes very cumbersome when support starts asking for invoice which never existed and things go in circles when 2FA gets messed up. 

Surely, once I get back in, I will make sure this cycle never repeats again. But Meraki can do better for example give an option to use the phone number on account when App is not available and the backup codes can not be found. 

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Wil

Nash
Kind of a big deal

I mean personally? Account recovery can be connected to, in USD, hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars in equipment. I personally have access to close to a couple million USD in equipment and license time.

Prioritize safety of the big accounts over inconvenience to somebody with a few hundred bucks in trial equipment. Make it possible but hard.

I can spoof a phone number very easily. Many of us get robo-calls on our cellphones with spoofed numbers.

AWZ1
Here to help

i see your point. Thanks, Nash.
AWZ1
Here to help

How does Meraki know trial equipment was given away and where would be the invoice? I ask because the support is asking for hardware ownership document and it is impossible to obtain for trail equipment. How to reason with support in such a case and work on Method 2 when it was trial gear and no invoice to help with 2FA issue where there was only one admin who was not "alert" enough to keep their backup codes in order and before resetting their phone, and after they got into this "prove thy identity" chaos with Meraki. 

Thoughts. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.