Wish: Port options the same across the board

NFL0NR
Getting noticed

Wish: Port options the same across the board

I was just going to say it would be great if the ports options were the same across the board. 

Why are the switch ports so much more robust than the MX and Z1 devices?  they should all be the same!

5 REPLIES 5
BHC_RESORTS
Head in the Cloud

@NFL0NR wrote:

I was just going to say it would be great if the ports options were the same across the board. 

Why are the switch ports so much more robust than the MX and Z1 devices?  they should all be the same!

I don't think the MX and Z1 are "real" switches. 99% sure neither supports STP. I think they are just add-on ports to the mainboard, and not really dedicated silicon. But those are my observations, not official Meraki. Maybe they can chime in.

I KNOW the MX didn't use to support STP. Maybe they do now.

BHC Resorts IT Department

@BHC_RESORTSI think you are right on STP on the MX's. I would be interested to here the official response from Meraki as well!

From what I remember, the MXs (and probably the Z1), forward BPDUs only. So its like, half of STP.

BHC Resorts IT Department

@BHC_RESORTSIt would seem that with the abilities of the remote tools adding that kind of feature to the board shouldn't be that big of a challenge.  It may be handled differently than a switch would, but a remote command from the dashboard to "blink LED's" wouldn't be much different from a remote command to cycle a port or moderate it.  From a hardware perspective it should be accessible the same way some of the other non-board functions are. 

MerakiJockey505
Building a reputation

@NFL0NRI would lovvvveee to have the same port control on the security devices as the switches.  It would make failover tests and live production cutovers soooo much easier.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.