Using OpenDNS in a Full Stack

SOLVED
Danjns
Here to help

Using OpenDNS in a Full Stack

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to use OpenDNS on our Meraki network but whenever I change it to OpenDNS on the MX the switch and APs complain about 'misconfigured DNS'.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The "free" option is very limited.  If you want to use OpenDNS you'll need to go onto a paid plan.

https://umbrella.cisco.com/products/features/opendns-cisco-umbrella

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you configured OpenDNS with your public IP address?

How do I do that? I thought it was just built in...

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you using the commercial DNS Umbrella service?

No, just the 'built-in' option within dashboard...

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The "free" option is very limited.  If you want to use OpenDNS you'll need to go onto a paid plan.

https://umbrella.cisco.com/products/features/opendns-cisco-umbrella

What does this give me? I'm not really looking for extra filtering or anything. Just wanted more visibility on what people were looking at.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The MX will give you the better visibility of what is happening in your network than the free version of OpenDNS.

If you want to monitor notebooks outside of your office then you will 100% have to go onto a paid plan and deploy the agent - otherwise just stick with what you get with the MX.

@PhilipDAth

I have the workstations set to use OpenDNS, and all the VLANs, apart from one which which uses the DNS addresses provided by the ISP that also delivers the TV service (that is what the service expects).

The PPPoE service also appears to use the ISP DNS, which seems to override the VLAN DNS settings. Do you know of a way to change this?

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.