Traffic analytics - Rogue camera streaming

Solved
JamesTOA
Here to help

Traffic analytics - Rogue camera streaming

Is there a way to detect wireless clients streaming video from a cell phone camera or tablet camera?

How would you go about restricting this?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution
sungod
Head in the Cloud

You'll only see a traffic category if it is detected. If the client is encrypting the video then it may well be ending up in the misc secure web bucket.

If your Meraki devices/firmware support NBAR, that can improve visibility, see this for full details...

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Next-gen_Traffic_Anal...

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't see a way to do this without having System Manager installed on the client's device (the restriction issue in this case), as for detecting who is streaming the video, I believe it is something that is not possible.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You should be able to see the traffic in the Network Wide - Clients view, see below where I selected miscellaneous video from the pie chart:

cmr_0-1702924181831.png

It does also show the host connected to below the image shown above. 

Thanks for pointing that out, is that Rule detail a default rule or measurement, my Network Wide Clients view doesnt have a slice named like that, i have "Applications - Miscellaneous secure web" and of the pie chart slices, none are name Miscellaneous Video. Just wondering if its something we need to classify/setup or if our problematic client is getting filed under something else. Thanks

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This is how we have it currently.

JamesTOA_0-1702925826313.png

sungod
Head in the Cloud

You'll only see a traffic category if it is detected. If the client is encrypting the video then it may well be ending up in the misc secure web bucket.

If your Meraki devices/firmware support NBAR, that can improve visibility, see this for full details...

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Next-gen_Traffic_Anal...

Thanks, thats some good content and i will review with my Network lead.

Appreaciate that.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.