Taking over MX67 from another MSP

AllenNETC
Conversationalist

Taking over MX67 from another MSP

We are an MSP and we are taking on a customer who was already working with another MSP who put a Meraki in place. I have already spoken with the previous MSP and they added me as an administrator to the customers organization. I can see the new customers organization in my dashboard.

If I remove the old MSP person from the organization admins does the ownership transfer me/to my portal?

6 Replies 6
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you’re an Admin of the Organisation and remove the previous Admin you’ll still remain as an Administrator.

“Ownership”, that’s a grey area with regards ownership of the Hardware and Licenses.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

but the inventory of the device would still be attached to the previous msp?

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

In that case they need to unclaim the device from their dashboard and move into yours.  You’ll then need to reach out to Meraki support to move the license.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Negative.  Whatever you see in the dashboard, device and licence-wise, will remain if you remove them as an admin.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MSP should be setting up new organisations as the company they are supporting and making sure that company has admin access, the company themselves can then manage MSP access with the help of the MSP if they require. 

The company owns the hardware and licensing most likely so they should never be in a situation where they are potentially locked out / don't have access to their assets. 

Jacobs_02
Getting noticed

sounds like you the new customer is in a different org so you should be just fine.  I have done this a few times... just remove the old MSP's account as an admin and they are gone and you own everything and can move forward. 

Some of the discussion here is based on an old method where an MSP created 1 org and then had different networks for each of their clients.  

that was a hairy mess...

Org management is easy and you should be just fine. 

-Jacob
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.