Renew Expired PDL License

Mloraditch
A model citizen

Renew Expired PDL License

I've found an individual PDL license that was over 3 years expired. I know the documentation says you will only lose 30 days of the new license, but PDL has never worked like it was supposed to as far as expirations go. I think when I've encountered something similar that the new license actually was partially eaten up by the entire expired period.

Does anyone else recall their real world experience in this situation?

4 Replies 4
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would talk to support. How did you not realise it was expired for 3 years as the device shouldn't have been operating and the dashboard would have been lighting up like a Christmas tree. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

PDL expiries are a mess and the devices often seem to work without licenses.  I am guessing this is why it has gone the way of the Dodo.  @Mloraditch I would expect it to go back to the expired date, or even 4-5 days earlier.  I have experienced that, but only with a device that was 3 weeks expired.

Mloraditch
A model citizen

Yeah PDL Expirations have never worked and do not alert in my experience. Hence these weird situations. I once took over a completely expired org that was still working fully.

Thanks!

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

In PDL you don't have to care if a license has expired.  It is more important to look at the devices.  Previous licenses that have expired stay visible in the portal.

If a device is no longer licensed it will be clearly shown on that device with a red date.  Then you need to stack a new license on top of it.  However PDL licenses never seem to actually stop your network from working.  But you can't move the device to another network if it does not have an active license.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.