Per-device licensing and MX warm spare

SOLVED
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Per-device licensing and MX warm spare

Has somebody already tried to convert to the new licensing model in an org that has MX‘s in a warm spare environment? I just did and Dashboard is yelling at me because I seem to have an unlicensed device: my primary MX from that warm spare (interestingly enough, because this one has always been licensed).

The documentation and FAQ still clearly state:

Do I need duplicate licenses to cover my security appliance in a warm spare configuration?

A: No, if two security appliances are in a warm spare/HA configuration licensing is only required for one of the two devices. The only additional cost of a warm spare configuration is the redundant hardware.

I guess / hope that this is just something that hasn‘t come up yet but something seems to be utterly wrong in this case.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Update:

I just called support (which is possibly what I should have done in the first place) and they were very helpful (as always).

It seems to be only a cosmetic issue within Dashboard that is currently known and will be fixed soon automatically.

Just leaving this here in case somebody else is also running into this.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Can you show what your license page looks like
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

PNG-Bild.png

Licensing has not been an issue with the old model because of the warm spare configuration. Looks like that‘s not the case anymore.

Nash
Kind of a big deal

Agree that needing two licenses seems wrong to me as well. Part of the deal with warm spare is that you've got two devices, but only one is ever active. If only one is ever active at a time, then you're supposed to only need a single license.

CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That‘s what the documentation clearly states:

Only one license is required for an HA pair. The warm spare unit does not require a separate license. Alerts for Warm spare failover can be configured on the Alerts and Administration page.“

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Deployment_Guides/MX_Warm_Spare_-_High_Availability_Pair

Do I need duplicate licenses to cover my security appliance in a warm spare configuration?

A: No, if two security appliances are in a warm spare/HA configuration licensing is only required for one of the two devices. The only additional cost of a warm spare configuration is the redundant hardware.“

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Licensing/Meraki_Licensing_FAQs

CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Update:

I just called support (which is possibly what I should have done in the first place) and they were very helpful (as always).

It seems to be only a cosmetic issue within Dashboard that is currently known and will be fixed soon automatically.

Just leaving this here in case somebody else is also running into this.

Have they corrected the cosmetic issue with the MX HA pair in Dashboard?
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yeah, that one‘s solved now. No license warning anymore.

Hi, I have a question. Which kind of license did you use for configuring/ enabling HA/ Warm Spare Failover? Is it Meraki Per-Device licensing or Meraki CO-Term Licensing?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.