Merging 2 organization + licensing model change.

rabusiak
Getting noticed

Merging 2 organization + licensing model change.

Hi Guys!

I have this interesting project of merging 2 dashboards/organization. The one managed by me will become the master one. I know more or less how to migrate devices/network/licenses between organizations but I have no idea how to approach to licensing model change.

Currently both organizations are in co-term models. My org is quite small, it contains locations from one country and there is only one "budget". I have like one co-term license key for 8*MS, one key for 8*MX for example. It's fairly simple to extend licenses and figure out who is paying and for what.
Organization that I'm going "absorb" is much bigger and more complex. They have like 60 devices across many countries, many owners, many budgets, many administrators and huuuuge amount of license keys where half of them are already expired. They have constant struggle to keep license status green. Nobody knows which license keys were bought be who. I guess some networks only operates because of co-term license model and countries that bought 6 or 8 year licenses keep the rest above the surface. I would like to clear this up during the merge and also avoid situation where entire org is down because someone forgets to extend their licenses.

I was thinking about per-device licensing but this has some cons like for example entire org has to run same licenses for MX and we have mix of Enterprise and Advanced Security. I'm looking more towards subscription model and I would like to have separate subscription per each network. For example one network in Uganda should have one subscription containing 2*MX68, MS225 and 3*MR36 and another network there just one MX68.

Did anyone have experience with changing co-term to subscription model? Is there a way to convert/split current co-term licenses keys? Should I first merge orgs and then change license model or other way around?
For example, I have co-term license key with 8 MS switches and other license key with 8 MXes. I will need to split them into 8 separate subscription licenses, each with one MX and one MS and bind them to networks, right? Is this even possible? I asked Meraki support but their initial answer is quite disappointing - they said to me something completely different than can be found in official docs 😕

3 Replies 3
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Subscription licensing is the way to go here.

I haven't had any experience with it but I suspect what you'd be looking to do is tie the networks in your org to different subscriptions.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Licensing/Meraki_Subscription_Licensing_-_Ne...

Probably best to run this by your Cisco/Meraki rep given it's more on the licensing side.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Agree with @Brash  here. Engage with your Cisco Meraki AM and get them to explain how both will operate and which one works best for you.  Also ask for a focus on renewals and how they’ll work.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Consider adopting a shared services model.  No one buys anything from Meraki anymore, except you.  When someone needs a new device+licence you internally change them a monthly fee for it.  They get used to paying for it.  Doing licence renewals becomes easy for you.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.