Meraki Management App On Android

Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

Meraki Management App On Android

Hi

I'm trying to sort out some issues with inter-VLAN communications (Chromecast).

If I select a device on the Android app, and ping it, from which device does the ping actually originate? 

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
4 REPLIES 4
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

last time i checked the network device that connected the client did an arp to the client. (its not using icmp packets for this function.)

chromecast uses routing discovery packets with a ttl 1 and without rebroadcasting this packets it will not work on other vlans

Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

@ww wrote:

last time i checked the network device that connected the client did an arp to the client. (its not using icmp packets for this function.)

chromecast uses routing discovery packets with a ttl 1 and without rebroadcasting this packets it will not work on other vlans

Thanks for that.

From ODDJOB ( a workstation) on VLAN 111, I can ping Fat Bottomed Girl (the wired device that is Chromecast capable) on VLAN 141.

Fat Bottomed Girl is connected to a switch port 5 on TheGimp (MS220-8P) and configured as an Access port on VLAN 141.

So, in actual fact, the ping initiated by the Android app is actually from TheGimp switchport 5 ?

I can successfully execute a WOL, from the switch. I probably need to check that ARP is not getting blocked, I think its a trust issue? we probably should not trust smart devices.

My Bonjour browser on the phone (VLAN 111) picks up Fat Bottomed Girl on VLAN 141. So I must be doing something right?

@Uberseehandel " Fat Bottomed Girl"...

I hope you labelled at least one other device " Fat Bottomed Guy", it might need a partner... 

@PeterJames wrote:

@Uberseehandel " Fat Bottomed Girl"...

I hope you labelled at least one other device " Fat Bottomed Guy", it might need a partner... 

Fat Bottomed Girl has the choice of The Gimp and Oddjob, Rosa Klebb and Blofeld will be returning to the network shortly and Oddjob will be replaced by his erstwhile boss Goldfinger.

Fat Bottomed Girl's name is derived from a different series for different devices.

Are you gonna take me home tonight
Ah, down beside that red firelight
Are you gonna let it all hang out
Fat bottomed girls, you make the rockin world go round!
it is a powerful integrated Audio device, that has an excellent bass, mid range and tweeters.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.