Looks like I am dropping Meraki once all my licenses run out.

Silentshooter
Here to help

Looks like I am dropping Meraki once all my licenses run out.

So Meraki policies have officially made me start moving to watch guard appliances and fortinet.  Testing Aruba and ruckus wifi now as well to find my ap replacement.

Meraki pulled the ultimate scumbag move and now debating on taking them to small claims court just for the hell of it.

So I bought a MX85 used but did my research and made sure it was unclaimed and not trial hardware. Added it to a dashboard network in a holding organization to make sure it stayed claimed by me.  (Now I did this back on april last year).  This way I had a spare until it was needed.  In October Meraki went into my network and removed my mx85 and I only noticed it about a week ago when I was about to put it into use.  Reached out to Meraki and got the normal BS crap about they only deal with the original owner and that in October is was reported to them as missing in transit.  

This is 6 months after I had the device in my network that they pull this crap.  So not another cent will be spent on meraki licenses.  My clients have probably 300 meraki devices so as they expire I normally just have them go to the newest meraki hardware as everything is licenses 3 to 5 years so that it can be replaced as it's expiring.  

Even my house has a dozen meraki devices as I have been a big supporter since moving all my clients from Sonicwalls over 6 years ago but since they truly are out to screw people I am now done.  I mean you could not buy new meraki hardware cause of bs covid manufacturing excuses and now the hardware you had to buy used can just be turned off months or years later with out any valid reason and meraki does not care.  

Thankfully I purchased the last group of licenses on credit card instead of dealing with sales rep and going thru partner channel so just going to dispute the charge and be done.  

So be warned that even if you have a device in your organization in use it can be removed months or years later with no recourse.  So used meraki hardware truly is trash 

13 Replies 13
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That's why I never buy anything second hand, but I'm sorry, I don't see it as Meraki's fault, how do you not know that the seller acted in bad faith?

Good luck.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

That fact that Meraki allows it even if the seller acted in bad faith is enough for me to drop meraki.  Literally 6 month later and meraki just does what ever they want so they are just as culpable as the seller.  

Meraki's std line is to get a refund, sorry it's 6 months later zero chance of getting a refund

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

So you’re upset that a device that was reported as missing/stolen was removed from your inventory and warrants ripping and replacing your whole network?

Imagine that was your original device that was being used by another person/company and Meraki’s policies did nothing to recover that device?  

I feel like this may have been one of those emails you wished you’d written and then deleted the following morning once you’d seen the light of day.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

You might be the one to delete after reading, cause as I stated they did it 6 months later.  Meraki clearly is a supporting them.  They created the environment for scamming.  

Meraki does not require anything other than the original owner to state it was lost in transit. So they sell it make money and then get meraki to disable it months later whe. Nothing can be done to them. 

Meraki should require a police report before they pull such bull.  But nope cause they are only about making money and screwing people.  So yes meraki will be getting pulled and I will be having charges reversed for recent licenses that are no longer being used as fitting parting gift to this shady operation

Man, what a crazy conspiracy theory.

😂

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Lurick
Getting noticed

So you're mad at Meraki for doing the right thing because you dealt with a shady person and you're going to commit fraud by doing a chargeback on your credit card for licenses which you bought and were properly delivered?

Meraki is the shady one, they do not require any police reports or anything.  Just provide original purchaser info and said it was lost in transit.  And no not fraud having the charges reversed since they are refusing me to use the hardware I will refuse to pat for licenses not being used.  They want to be shady and support such activity then they can pound sand

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Did you pass the MX85 seller details to Meraki and if via ebay or similar have you reported the seller to them?

Meraki does not care, they don't require anything from the person reporting it as list in transit.  Literally long as you know the original purchaser info and have a sn you can report it lost in transit and they will block it and remove from any networks no police or insurance forms needed.  It's a complete scam that run.  

And it being 6 months ebay won't do anything.  

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Interesting case.  If you check the Organisation change log, what does it say about the MX85 removal?

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Organizations_and_Networks/Organization_Menu... 

Meraki would normally only remove with a court order or a significant weight of legal evidence.  That would normally only be the case if the MX85 was stolen, and was being returned to its rightful owner.

The change log will be interesting to check.  Note that in most countries, if you bought a stolen item, you would also have committed the criminal offence of "receiving stolen property".

So ahh, you might need to be careful pushing this one in case the original owner lays a complaint with the Police and you identify yourself as being involved in the transaction and self-incriminate yourself.

> debating on taking them to small claims court just

If am am right - this could be risky as it formalises your involvement in a court of law.  This evidence can be re-introduced in a criminal case, and because you introduced it as sworn testimony, you can't say it is wrong unless you also commit purgery - another criminal offence.

Just shows up as meraki admin removed, which is why I had to open a case to find out what the deal was.  And then found out meraki operates this scam not requiring it to be reported stolen and have paperwork or anything.  They literally let you report that you lost it in transit and remove it from the system without any paperwork or proof and you have zero recourse and they won't even tell you who reported it.  

Hence why I might just make a small claims case against them 

>Just shows up as meraki admin removed

Does it give the name of the admin?

>They literally let you report that you lost it in transit

If the device was lost in transit there would be no reason to remove the device.  Why bother, it is lost?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you able to ask the original seller to show you an invoice proving they were the legal owner (make sure their name is on the invoice) and had a right to sell it to you?

ps. I mention all of this, because I have a customer that has had Merki kit stolen (3 times so far).  Orgs in this case often make the mistake of simply removing the stolen gear from the network and adding the replacement devices.  This makes the stolen gear claimable by the receiver of the stolen property.

For anyone else having a customer that has had their Meraki kit stolen, create a new org called "Stolen".  Move the stolen kit there.  And then create a network and add the stolen kit to this.

By using a separate org you no longer have to pay a licence for the kit (and everything in that org will get shut down for non-compliance).  And you must keep it in a network, otherwise others can claim it.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.