Licensing Issues and questions

SOLVED
Sharyn
Here to help

Licensing Issues and questions

Hi.

I have received new licenses from our Meraki reseller but I'm confused about what these licenses cover.

Our Meraki person is on vacation so forgive me if these are silly questions.

First question, I received 3 different dashboard licenses. Am I supposed to apply them all, 1 at a time, to the dashboard. If I apply dashboard key 1, then apply dashboard key 2, will that wipe out key 1? I need all 3 to be activated.

2nd question, I have a VMX-M running in Azure. I received a license key, below, for this appliance

LIC-MX100-ENT-1YR

EOS Meraki MX100 Enterprise License and Support, 1YR

My question is, does this license cover the VMX-M in azure.? We do not currently run an MX100 unless the vmx-m got its name changed. This was the most expensive license we ordered and Cisco is not great about refunds. I do not want to apply this license until I'm sure it's for the product we run.

Finally, I have read that the meraki (s) that is out of licensing compliance will stop working. I have also read there is a 30 day grace period if you don't apply the license the day it expires. Does anyone know which is correct? I've tried to contact Meraki support but I think they are all out celebrating Christmas already.

Our licenses all expire tomorrow so I need to do something today.

Thanks in advance to anyone who is monitoring this board today!

Sharyn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

1. The 3 license keys you received should be separate and shouldn't overwrite each other or anything else. Should you claim it and not want it, you can revert the license claim within 7 days.

2. The MX100 is the old product replaced by VMX-M. According to the migration doc, MX100 licensed can be transferred to VMX-M licensed by support.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Deployment_Guides/vMX100_to_vMX_S%2F%2FM%2F%2FL_Transition_FAQ#W...

3. Once you go into a non-compliance license state you have a 30 days grace period to resolve the issue and sort out the licensing. After that 30 day period, your Meraki devices will stop communicating with Meraki cloud and will more or less become unusable.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Licensing/Meraki_Co-Termination_Licensing_Ov...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

1. The 3 license keys you received should be separate and shouldn't overwrite each other or anything else. Should you claim it and not want it, you can revert the license claim within 7 days.

2. The MX100 is the old product replaced by VMX-M. According to the migration doc, MX100 licensed can be transferred to VMX-M licensed by support.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Deployment_Guides/vMX100_to_vMX_S%2F%2FM%2F%2FL_Transition_FAQ#W...

3. Once you go into a non-compliance license state you have a 30 days grace period to resolve the issue and sort out the licensing. After that 30 day period, your Meraki devices will stop communicating with Meraki cloud and will more or less become unusable.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Licensing/Meraki_Co-Termination_Licensing_Ov...

Sharyn
Here to help

Thank you so much for the information! Appreciate the response on Christmas Eve, especially!

Merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays, whichever applies!

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You are right about the grace period, you have 30 days left.

For the license ... no, it is not valid for a vMX because it is for the ... MX100. That leads to the question why you ordered it if you don't have one? By mistake? If the licenses is new, you can let it refund.

About applying the licenses ... I wonder why you got three licenses. To extend the license duration of the organisation, you need to apply one license with all what is needed in one license. But if you have your dashboard license expired anyhow, you could add the first license with "Renew my Dashboard license" which resets the inventory devices to the device of the first license. After that you add the other licenses with "License more devices" and you are all good.

And for you next renewal interval, come back and ask how to handle all of this before ordering the licenses.

Happy Holidays!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.