Identidify monitor & Config API

PramodK
Conversationalist

Identidify monitor & Config API

How can we categorize monitor and configure API points?

4 Replies 4
ammahend
Getting noticed

elaborate your question with an example

PramodK
Conversationalist

For example, I would like to know in which category the "getOrganizationInsightApplications" API falls under, either monitoring or configuration.

Is there any logic to determine the API category?

According to the documentation, "getOrganizationInsightApplications" is classified as a Configuration API.

Similarly, "getNetworkSmDeviceConnectivity" is classified as a Monitoring API.

I used the documentation to identify these categories, but is there any specific logic to determine the API category?

some one from Meraki DevOp team can answer best but let me give it a shot,

some attributes of configuration API are

1. Create, update, or delete operations.
  2. Configure network settings, policies, devices, and applications.
  3. Set parameters that affect the operation of the network

for instance  "getOrganizationInsightApplications" API endpoint retrieves information about insight applications for an organization, which is typically used to configure and manage these applications within the network. This is why it falls under the Configuration category, as it deals with setting up and modifying configurations.

some attributes of monitoring API are

1. Read-only operations.
  2. Retrieve status, metrics, logs, and reports.
  3. Provide real-time or historical data for analysis and monitoring purposes.

for instance  "getNetworkSmDeviceConnectivity" API endpoint retrieves connectivity information for devices in a Systems Manager network, which is used to monitor the current connectivity status and performance of devices. Hence, it is classified as a Monitoring API, as it focuses on observing and reporting the state of the network rather than changing it.

hope this helps

PramodK
Conversationalist

Thanks @ammahend 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.