IdP Initiated SAML SSO for Meraki Dashboard

rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

IdP Initiated SAML SSO for Meraki Dashboard

Lately, SSO login for Meraki Dashboard has been a huge nuisance for me, as I'm getting access to more and more customer organisations that use SAML SSO in their organizations.

If unsuccessful in convincing their IT teams to add me directly as a local admin to their Org, I have to go through having my account created in their Azure tenant.

Which by all means is probably also the correct way, IT security wise.

But as an MSP with access to many customers, SSO is a PITA. Many customers followed the guides on the Meraki Documentation on how to setup SSO for their org in Meraki, but this has also resulted in many organisations' lack of consideration of the different SAML attributes in Azure.

An easy fix would be to set the username attribute to something else than userprincipalname, which for some reason equates to their email address. In my tests, using employeeid is usually the best alternative, since chances are that this is more unique between customers and organisations, and especially for external consultants like myself. 

I'm curious as to how others handle SAML SSO from an MSP stand of view? Do you also spend days during first time onboarding in just trying to get access, by having to make the customer reconfigure their Dashboard App, which by all means works for them?

What are you tips&tricks for when setting up SAML SSO? Or is there a simple Meraki setting that I'm just not aware of, that will fix everything, without having to touch their Azure tenant?

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.
4 Replies 4
rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

And well, this also goes to SP-initiated SAML SSO.

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.
rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

The SAML SSO configuration guide, clearly states that one should set the username attribute to email, but also clearly warns against it.

rhbirkelund_0-1721067718238.png

This really messes things up for MSPs and those of us who are external consultants.

I've never done a SAML deployment where I used the email address.  It just doesn't work in practice.  I usually make it "user.displayname".

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Do you know the dashboard can support multiple SAML providers at the same time?

You should add your Idp to customers that you manage, so you can log in with the username in your tennancy.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.