Changing from Co-Term to Per Device Licencing Model

JF1
Getting noticed

Changing from Co-Term to Per Device Licencing Model

Hi

We have a client who wants to move from a co-term licence model to the per device model.

Has anyone done this or does anyone have a step by step guide?

Within the Licence Info page I can see the "convert to per device licensing option".

I am hoping its a case of clicking this. All devices will be given an end date aligned with the co-term model.

Then when loading new licences we apply to specific devices?

Im hesitant about jumping in and selecting "convert to per device licensing option" without knowing what the next steps are.

Thanks in advance

James

9 REPLIES 9
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

NOTE: Customers cannot change from the per-device licensing model back to the co-termination licensing model. The change is permanent and should only be done when users understand the differences and are sure it's the correct model for their organization.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Licensing/Meraki_Per-Device_Licensing_Overvi...

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

My bad, I did search prior to raising the post however I failed to find that page within the documentation. Thanks for clarifying

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

When you change all devices are given the end date of the co-term enddate.

Indeed you cannot change back however I find the per device system to be way more flexible.

It's easier to add renewals for certain devices and even stack license time for devices.

You don't have the fear at a renewal to forget to include some devices so you lose those licenses.

You can more easily move licenses between orgs.

You can more easily retire older devices.

JF1
Getting noticed

Thanks. For this particular client we see the same benefits for the per device model.

I just need to ensure that as part of the conversion process from co-term to per device we dont experience any outages.....configs arent lost.... no service disruption. I presume its a fairly seamless process?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There is no service disruption or any other problem. 😉

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Thank you 🙂

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, I have done it many times, it is just a 4 step wizard you need to go through and the licenses are converted.  No physical issues whatsoever.

You will have to get used to the new pages though because it will look a bit more complex at first 😉

JF1
Getting noticed

Thanks you🙂

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Example: If the customer’s co-term date for the org is 1/1/2025 and the customer has 1,000 APs (Device count) and 1,100 licenses (License count)... when Meraki performs the conversion, the 1,000 APs will have individual licenses with an expiration date of 1/1/2025 and there will be 100 AP licenses in their license inventory with an expiration date of 1/1/2025 that can be used to apply to devices without licenses (e.g a new device).

Current customers will not see a change in their expiration date when they convert to per-device licensing. When they purchase a new license/device and claim it into their organization, is when they will see a different expiration date. For example, if the customer's co-termination date is 1/1/2025 and they convert, their expiration date in per-device will be 1/1/2025 for all their devices/products. If they purchase 1 new AP with a 7-year license on 1/1/2020, the expiration date of that device will be 1/1/2027. The other devices will maintain the 1/1/2025 expiration date. 

NOTE: Once a customer converts to per-device licensing, they cannot convert back to co-terimation licensing model.

If an organization has an active Free Trial, it will lose the Free Trial when converting to per-device licensing.

If the organization being converted does not have licenses or is in the Grace Period and they convert, there will be no licenses available in the organization and the devices will still be in the grace period. Licenses must be applied to the devices.

After conversion, the licenses in the organization will not be tied to a specific license key or order number. Licenses claimed into the organization after conversion will display the related license key and order number.    

If devices are in inventory (not assigned to a network), they will remain in inventory and no licenses will be assigned when converted.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.