Aggregate port monitoring/Alerts

Adrian4
A model citizen

Aggregate port monitoring/Alerts

Hello,,

Is there any way to configure alerts for the individual ports in a aggregation? I can only add a tag to the combined aggregation port, so I'm not sure if that means it'l only send an alert if all sub-ports go down? Or will it alert if any of the sub ports in the aggregation drop?

Thanks!

# EDIT #

also - I was just in the alerts config trying to setup alerts for specific port tags if port goes down, and I can only choose ONE tag to alert on! That doesn't seem right, am I missing something?

7 Replies 7
Adrian4
A model citizen

bump

Shubh3738
Getting noticed

Configuring alerts for individual ports within an aggregation can be a bit tricky. By default, you can only add a tag to the combined aggregation port, which means the alert will be triggered based on the status of the aggregated port as a whole1.

However, you can set up alerts for individual ports by using the following steps:

Navigate to the Meraki Dashboard: Go to Network-wide > Configure > Alerts.

Configure Port-Specific Alerts: While the default settings might not allow for individual port alerts within an aggregation, you can create custom alerts using tags. Assign unique tags to each port you want to monitor individually.

Set Up Custom Alerts: Use the custom alert settings to specify conditions for each tagged port. This way, you can receive alerts if any specific port within the aggregation goes down2.

the problem is that when you aggregate the ports, the individual ports become no longer available for any kind of editing so I cant tag them 😞

You’re right. When ports are aggregated in Cisco Meraki, they are treated as a single logical interface, which limits the ability to configure individual port settings, including tagging for alerts.

Adrian4
A model citizen

although - there is the alert for "port changes link speed"  - would that cover an aggregated link speed changing?

For aggregated links, this alert typically applies to the individual physical ports within the aggregation rather than the aggregated link as a whole.

nuts 😞

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.